starting strength gym

Thread: Squat check (300 x5)

Default Squat check (300 x5)

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey folks,

This is 300lbs for a 3x5 attempt. I did 5, 4, and 3. This is the three. (Apologies for the video being vertical, low angle etc, I’ll try for better next time.)

YouTube

…here’s what I think I notice:

- I don't see any back rounding
    - depth is too deep by maybe 3-4” (first rep)
    - knees are not 1” in front of my toes, may be seated too far back
    - some knee cave on my affected (right) knee.
    - wrists bend back every time at the bottom of the hole

This was my first missed set. Per online calorie calculators I need 3100 for a 300 surplus of my TDEE. I’ll try raising it to 3300 for +500 surplus. My sleep is 7-8 hours, but I always gotta get up to pee after 4 hours. I often turn looking for a comfortable position for sleeping/breathing, so I dunno how good my sleep is.

As background I’m 41, 6’1 and 200 lbs. I began training a couple years ago at 178 lbs, I started due to an ACL surgery and doing PT post-op. I started with StrongLifts with all weights at just the bar (knee was very weak) for about a year, had some shoulder pains and switched to 531 for a while to get off the grind. Got better, and now switched back to SS. After 3 weeks of SS I moved my 3x5 SQ from 250 to 295 (300 attempt was this video). Am a big fan of Rip’s podcasts and read the book cover to cover.

thanks!

Yeah, a video shot from hip height and to the rear 45 degree angle would help a lot.

You've got some problems here. First, the bar is too high in the rack. Put it one notch lower. You aren't holding the bar right (see how your wrists end up bent back ward really far?). Make sure you read and are doing the right grip and you have your upper back in extension.

You are also keeping your knees far too vertical. They should travel forward until they are even or just a little bit in front of your toes. They should get to that position by the time you're halfway down and they should stay there until you are halfway back up.

Take a few pounds off the bar, apply these corrections, and submit a video from the rear 45 degree angle at hip height.

Thanks, Jeff. The thoracic flexion (upper back rounding) is interesting and a keeper, but I don't *think* that's an issue right now. I definitely see the knees being too far back and my wrists bending into extension. I think my grip position needs work, I've watched Rip's videos on this but have trouble finding the spot. I'll try a wider hand positions and see if helps me keep the wrists locked without going too soft with the bar/back.

I'll ask somebody to shoot the video from 45, there isn't anything to attach my camera too and I don't think I'm down w/ a tripod just yet.

Where do you train?

New Orleans. Thanks for the reminder to update my profile

I was hoping you were closer to a coach. An in person session would fix these things pretty quickly I think.

starting strength coach development program
    Yeah, I checked and there are no SSCes in the entire state. I'm thinking about going to one of the TX seminars. I began training just as a way to recovery from the knee thing, but now I've crossed over into enthusiast territory and want to get good at it. I spend way too much time reading articles and watching youtube vids on lifting, lol...