starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Check

Default Squat Check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    This is only my second time watching my form. I seen some issues with my first form check. I wanted to see if I could focus more on keeping my knees pointed out.

My thoughts are: Reps 1 and 2 probably didn't break parallel and certainly could have used more depth. Three and four looked ok but rep 5 brought back the rounding of the lower back at the beginning of the hip drive.

What are your thoughts?

YouTube

Thanks for the feedback.

One more thing, is the form so bad that I should stop progressing in weight or can I proceed with the program?

1. The bar looks too high on your back. Make sure you read/watch and apply the correct squat grip and upper back extension.
    2. Before you unrack, get the middle of your feet under the bar, your hips back, and your chest down. Remember and apply the Master Cue at all times.
    3. When you unrack, stand up and stop. Next, take one step back and stop. Next get tight and then squat.
    4. Keep your gaze down. Aim your eyes and face at the line between the grey and orange mats and aim your chest down.
    5. Break at the hips and knees at the same time while bending over. Your knees should be at or just in front of your toes by the time you're halfway down and they should stay there until you are halfway up. Your chest and face stay down until you're standing up at the end.
    6. Get much tighter.
    7. Keep your knees over your feet, they're knocked in a little on several reps.

You'd also benefit from weightlifting shoes.

I think the upper back extension made the world of difference. Here's another video. I included my last warm up set before my work set because I feel like my warm up set was pretty good form. The work sets weren't too bad until the last set. It's really starting to get heavy now.

Questions:

Are my warm up sets good form? Can you see areas of improvement?

Is this too heavy? I feel like this work set was still better form than my last video thanks to your advice. Thoughts?

YouTube

I don't see much improvement from your first video. Stop looking in the mirror. Get tighter. Slow your decent. Keep your knees under control.

I think your wrists are bent back too much. They need to be more in line with the arms (based on what I've read and heard from various YouTube clips). I've been keeping them straight and have avoided problems that way.