starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check

Default Squat form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    First time posting a form check here, and only my second time watching my form.

This is my last set of 5 at 175 pounds.

My analysis:

- Sorry for the cave-like lighting. Just moved into a new place, we're working on it.
    - My knees are in a little narrower than they should be. Need to work on pushing them out more. Hoping that weightlifting shoes will help with this.
    - I think I'm rounding my upper back just a touch at the bottom. Trying to come up with a cue that will help me work on this, but it's been pretty hard to change.
    - There's just a little bit of "butt wink" going on here, my hips are rolling under. I have do-wins coming this week which I hope will help with that.

I really appreciate the feedback.

The most glaring issue is your stance is too wide. You need to come in with your heels under your shoulders. It looks like perhaps an inch and a half on either side should do the trick. Take a big breath and hold it. Squeeze your abs the entire rep. Should help with the looseness you are having.

- Stance, like Matt said. Bring your heels in and maybe point the toes out a bit more. This will make it easier to shove your knees out.

- Squeeze harder. Hard to tell in this light but I think you might be overextended in the lumbar spine and you perceive as butt wink is really going from overextension to normal extension. Squeezing harder against the belt should help if that's the case.

Thanks folks. Really appreciate the feedback. I'll implement this next time around.

Quote Originally Posted by cwmcarthur View Post
    Thanks folks. Really appreciate the feedback. I'll implement this next time around.
    Move your J-hooks down at least a notch. You should never bang them or have to lean on your toes to unrack or re-rack.