starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift Form Check

Default Deadlift Form Check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Please critique my deadlift form. I am most concerned with my lower back. I start with what I consider a good neutral lower back, but it looks round and unsafe on the way up. I would like to get more eyes and opinions on this. Is this a dangerous amount of rounding? Completely safe? If too round, what cues can I use to prevent this? I feel as though I am doing a pretty good job of keeping my abs tight. I know I could do a better job with dropping the bar a little faster, keeping the bar in contact with legs the entire time, and keeping shoulders over the bar for a bit longer. Staying bent over for that little bit of extra time always feels awkward to me, and I also feel as though I should be extending my knees quicker as I drag the bar up, because I often hit my knees on the way up. I have a feeling staying bent over will fix this. I also have a tendency to drop hips a little bit too, I think.

I have had shitty progress on the deadlift due to back problems. Long story short I am progressing again, this is my current setup three days per week:

A: Squat, Press, Deadlift

B: Squat, Bench, Barbell Row, Chin ups

So I am deadlifting 2x a week, then 1x a week. My current DL sits at 235. Is this low enough that I should increase my deadlift frequency? Although I have questions on the form, I feel as though this weight went up reasonably easily. If form is good, should I switch to ten pound increases for a few sessions? Please share your thoughts, thanks.

235 1x5 Work Set

Your video is blocked due to some sort of copyright issue.

Your back extension looks good to me.

However, you are setting up on your toes. When you bring the shins to the bar, do so by bending BOTH the KNEES and the ankles. Currently, you are rocking forward at the ankles to touch the shins to the bar. This is putting you on your toes for the rest of the set up. Stay midfoot. This is your once change to drop your hips in the setup, so take advantage of it! Just keep the bar midfoot (don't kick it forward) and keep your weight on the midfoot.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Franklin View Post
    Your back extension looks good to me.

However, you are setting up on your toes. When you bring the shins to the bar, do so by bending BOTH the KNEES and the ankles. Currently, you are rocking forward at the ankles to touch the shins to the bar. This is putting you on your toes for the rest of the set up. Stay midfoot. This is your once change to drop your hips in the setup, so take advantage of it! Just keep the bar midfoot (don't kick it forward) and keep your weight on the midfoot.
    Thanks for the reply, and thank you for offering your advice for free on here. I will try to apply this advice during the next deadlift day and post back.

Default 10-8 Work Set DL

Here's my work set for 10-8, 250LB. Tried a ten pound jump this time.

Are my hips too high?

I have a question about foot placement - My right foot is naturally toed out quite a bit more than my left, with my left being pretty straight - normal. Should I take this into consideration when setting up for deadlifts and squats or should I try to keep a symmetrical foot placement regardless of this? For instance my squat stance is toes out 30 degrees on the left, but more like 45ish on the right. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by a10t2 View Post
    Here's my work set for 10-8, 250LB. Tried a ten pound jump this time.

Are my hips too high?

I have a question about foot placement - My right foot is naturally toed out quite a bit more than my left, with my left being pretty straight - normal. Should I take this into consideration when setting up for deadlifts and squats or should I try to keep a symmetrical foot placement regardless of this? For instance my squat stance is toes out 30 degrees on the left, but more like 45ish on the right. Thank you.
    To add to this, I train in lifting shoes with orthotics inserts in them. Can this have a negative effect on balance, and do you recommend against this?

Not bad. Your first rep was a little off, but the rest settled in well. Regarding the orthotics, they might. It would depend on what they are. You can always try a few sets without them and see what happens. Regarding your differential turn out - why? Do you have different length legs? Odd anatomy?

starting strength coach development program
    Odd Anatomy. My right foot toes out, I am duck footed on that side. There are many names for it. My right foot is this way, my left foot is normal, so a normal standing stance for me is not symmetrical. I think this has to do with the shape of the bottom of my foot, too, hence the orthotics.