starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Squat form check #2

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Thank you,it's amazing how the community works well.I'll work on my grip,but I've noticed over the past that when I go thumbless my wrist tend to flex,which makes my upperback round.
    I also have a shorter femur due to multiple surgeries,should I stagger my stance?Would that prevent the knee caving?

Quote Originally Posted by MrCripples View Post
    Thank you,it's amazing how the community works well.I'll work on my grip,but I've noticed over the past that when I go thumbless my wrist tend to flex,which makes my upperback round.
    I also have a shorter femur due to multiple surgeries,should I stagger my stance?Would that prevent the knee caving?
    I found this PDF for you. I just skimmed it briefly, but it's pretty detailed.

https://startingstrength.com/content...iscrepancy.pdf

Yep,staggered stance squats.
    Thanks

I couldn't say if that's contributing to the knee caving, but if you have a significant leg length discrepancy, you'll want to follow the process outlined in that PDF regardless.

It' been my personal experience, that as we fix one thing, sometimes we cause a new issue. Or form creeps away from the ideal, with time and added load. You just gotta keep at it.

I will say -- it's really good that you stopped using a spotter. You have safety arms up anyway, so there's no need to have someone standing behind you. Forced reps really aren't helpful at this stage (possibly any stage?), and it's better to know you got the rep, or you didn't. And bailing onto the safety arms is still something you want to avoid, or at least it will be, after you do it a few times.

I think you also might need to shim the shoe of the shorter leg, unless you've already done this part?

Quote Originally Posted by MrCripples View Post
    Thanks a lot,
    What do you think,should I add a little weight and progress or just stay here and get my form nailed down really good?
    Do you have some cues to keep the knees where they should be?
    Thanks again,Mr. Illingworth
    You can use a TUBOW for the forward/backward knee travel cue. I can help for the side-to-side positioning as well.

I think you're safe adding weight - just keep working on your form at the same time.

Hell yeah Mr Illingworth,would you suggest adding 5 kg or 2.5 kg?

Already did that,and it helped a lot,but I think my main problem is the lack of muscle mass on my left leg

So, I missed a whole lot of posts before writing my last one. If you have a leg length issue, you want to get that dealt with as quickly as possible. Read the article that Ssansom linked and apply what you need to apply.

As far as adding weight, how much did you add between your last two training sessions?

starting strength coach development program
    Got it,thanks a lot Mr Illingworth

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast