starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's wrong with my bench?

Default What's wrong with my bench?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I am pretty weak on the bench, comparatively (recently squatted 350 for 3x5). My bench here is 157 for 3x5.

How is my form? Does getting your bench up just take a long time?

Quote Originally Posted by csapaugh View Post
    I am pretty weak on the bench, comparatively (recently squatted 350 for 3x5). My bench here is 157 for 3x5.

How is my form? Does getting your bench up just take a long time?

I'm not expert, but I don't see anything glaringly wrong with your form.

I think so much of how much we do has alot to do with genetics. I'm in the exact opposite boat as you. I'm at a sub 300lb squat but just did 235x5x3 on bench and it hasn't slowed down. Just the name of the game unfortunately. Your amounts do sound pretty extreme. I noticed you said you are at 157lb. Where did that 7 come from. Are you already microloading the bench? I'm not positive, but at this low of a weight compared to your weight, I don't think you should already be microloading. I am of course assuming you weight a good amount (to be able to squat 350).

Position yourself further down the bench (away from the wall). Your eyes should be under the bar when it's in the rack - looking at the length of the hooks on your rack, you might need to get your eyes a little further way.

You need to tighten up A LOT. Keep your shoulders pulled back the whole time. Valsalva and squeeze hard. Drive your feet into the ground. Touch a little lower on your chest. Don't let your wrists roll back the way they are.

I think the problem is the music.

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Schudt View Post
    I think the problem is the music.
    I am soooo glad I keep my speakers muted for these things.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Illingworth View Post
    Position yourself further down the bench (away from the wall). Your eyes should be under the bar when it's in the rack - looking at the length of the hooks on your rack, you might need to get your eyes a little further way.

You need to tighten up A LOT. Keep your shoulders pulled back the whole time. Valsalva and squeeze hard. Drive your feet into the ground. Touch a little lower on your chest. Don't let your wrists roll back the way they are.
    Regarding head position, I've been coached that one can move a little further under the bar when benching alone so that there's less distance you have to move the bar from the hooks to balance over the shoulders.

Agree on the latter comments.

I agree with the less distance thing, I just think you've over done it by a few inches. You'd be better served, at least from a safety perspective, to move down the bench so there's less chance of hitting the hooks while pressing and raising the safeties so they are just below where your chest is when it's up to press, but above where it would be if you relax.

You're probably a bit close to the J-cups, but that's not a form issue... slide down another inch or two... it's fine to be close, not fine if they're ever in your way.

The problem I'm seeing is you're too flared and potentially touching too high on your chest. Although this may not be ideal for moving the most amount of weight in the long term, I would move the grip such that your elbows flare at around 45 degrees to your body as a starting point. You should be experimenting with different grip widths. Your current grip is very chest dominant... you want to spread more of the load to your front delts and triceps too. How much do you bench with a relatively close grip?

Next time, don't insert the annoying music... I want to hear your breathing. You need to work on keeping your body much tighter.. you're moving around way too much. Also don't trim out your setup... very important to see it.

Don't know why I can't edit, but flaring your elbows too much can also cause impingement... should have mentioned that as well... :P

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks for all the advice. I narrowed my grip, touched lower on my chest, and moved further down the bench. Do these look any better?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast