starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pappy’s First Squat Check

Default Pappy’s First Squat Check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    32 yo 165 lbs, switched to SS 2 weeks ago after 2 mos on SL 5x5.
    Had issues getting depth, sore knees. narrowed my stance today and am feeling better. Please ignore my first rep, I usually take a practice rep to get set.
    YouTube

Greetings, sire.

Have you ready the book? It would behoove you greatly.

I would recommend building a platform on which to squat. Squatting on carpet is not the best of ideas. I do understand that if this is your only method, but would highly recommend seeking an alternative.

You are standing much too tall on the descent. You don't really get to depth. A cursory read of the Blue Book would certainly help your ability to squat as prescribed. However, in the meantime, you should find this video from SSC Alan Thrall to be helpful.

Yes, I’ve read the book (and constantly refer back to it). Yes, I’ve thought about the carpet, but currently prefer barefoot on carpet to shoes on concrete.

Do you have any advice on gettting depth? I am cautious to keep my lumbar spine in extension, which seems to limit my ability to stretch any lower. I don’t think it’s a pure flexibility problem as I can go low with no weight. Is my stance too narrow at this point? How is my back angle?

Your knees should get to where they need to be halfway through your decent. After that point your knees should not move forward at all. The remainder of the decent should happen only with your hips. This will help your sore knees, create more hip drive, and allow you to get a bounce out of the bottom.

This is all tied closely with your overly vertical back as pointed out by mattlifts.

Also, Don't do a "practice rep" before your work sets. Get tight before you unrack the bar and stay tight the whole time. This will take some practice, but the closer you get your setup position to being exactly how you want to squat, the better you will survive as the weight gets heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by PappyVanWinkle View Post
    Do you have any advice on gettting depth?
    Sit back.
    You are coming forward onto your toes. Keep the weight over your mid foot.

This is all causing your depth to be limited by your knee position. Think hips.

Thanks guys, I see what you’re saying. I thought my hips and butt were back but I see I need to do better. I have trouble seeing how I can get my back angle lower and get my hips further back, without flexing lumbar. I will re read this in SS and try again Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by PappyVanWinkle View Post
    Thanks guys, I see what you’re saying. I thought my hips and butt were back but I see I need to do better. I have trouble seeing how I can get my back angle lower and get my hips further back, without flexing lumbar. I will re read this in SS and try again Sunday.
    If you're really pushing your hips back as far as you can, and your upper and lower back are tight (REALLY TIGHT) and in extension or flat, then you probably have a stance issue. But seriously. Get some shoes man. I would think even shoes on carpet would be better than barefoot on carpet? But they're both suboptimal. Here's the deal -- it may not be limiting your now, but it will very soon.

Stop breathing during the lift. Lifting on carpet with no shoes makes it impossible to be steady on your feet. And, stop breathing during your lifts.

Did I say, Stop breathing during your lifts? Stop breathing during your lifts.

Man, theres so much hate for lifting on carpet!! I tell you guys this, I think lifting barefoot on carpet is MORE STABLE than lifting with shoes on concrete! My feet sink in and I feel them grip the floor. It is not thick carpet.

do y’all have a recommended platform to put down over carpet? Since at this point I am not taking up the carpet, and I am not keen on standing on a sheet of plywood.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post

Did I say, Stop breathing during your lifts? Stop breathing during your lifts.
    Are you saying, don’t breath during reps, or hold breath for the entire set? I swear SS says to breath between reps.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast