starting strength gym

Thread: squat - is reduction in knee slide bought at the price of lumbar flexion? vice versa?

Default squat - is reduction in knee slide bought at the price of lumbar flexion? vice versa?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    would you recommend a trainee increase weight with this degree of knee slide? They're real deep and the bar speed is not very slow, but dear god those knees. It seems like everytime i squat with my back tight, my knees and chest are being pulled into this black hole that's on the floor like 3-4 feet in front of me. Flexibility issue?

YouTube

YouTube

is the second rep of the 45 degree set better than the others, or am I just hallucinating

FWIW -- your second rep in both videos, are the better of the bunch. And I think it's because you managed to shove your hips back more. A simple thing to look at, your bar path is coming forward on pretty much all the reps, but those second reps are significantly better than the rest.
    So when you don't push your hips back, and don't bend over enough, you're going to collapse your back and start falling forward into your knees. Slow down.
    Stay tight in your back, even when you're at the top and taking breaths. Between reps you can see the bar kind of wobble around, which probably means you're loose. Let the bar settle, squeeze hard, harder than you think you need. Do the same thing on each warmup rep as well, to get used to the feeling. It does take more out of you, but it's worth the small amount of fatigue to be tight all the time, even while breathing.

Someone else might give you a suggestion on stance, I'm not sure from these angles of the video, if anything is going on there.

Start by pointing your toes out at least 30 degrees each toe, and shove your knees out hard. This would clear up much of the problem. In fact, I think "shove your knees out" is about the most useful bit of verbage in the English language.

(thighs are hitting your torso, which makes you hunch your lower back. Read Rip's article "The Active Hip.")

thank you both