starting strength gym

Thread: Pappys First Deadlift check

Default Pappys First Deadlift check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Alright boys, let me have it.
    I know, I know; the carpet. Spare me that one, at least.
    Also, there’s only 2 reps in this set. I just finished 5 heavy and forgot to film. So I squeezed out 2 more.
    YouTube

Narrow your stance. 8-12" between the heels.

Work on keeping your legs straight when bending over to grab the bar. Your knees should not bend much during step 2 (bend over and grab the bar). You'll get better at this over time as you train if you are diligent about it.

More importantly, but also related to the above: don't drop your hips any more than necessary when you set up. You'll notice that on your first rep, your hips shoot up several inches before the bar moves. This happens less on rep 2. Hips shooting up without the bar is an indicator you're dropping them too low during your setup.

Heavy????? It looked rather light for you. Anyway, stop breathing either in or out during the lift. Do you have the books? If so, read and follow them.

Those are my working sets. I’m a novice.

Doesn’t posting on this forum, presuppose that I have read the books? Seriously what’s the point of a form check if you want to tell people “just go read the books”

If you can't find a certified SS coach in your area then check out online coaching. We have pointed out several errors you are making all of which are addressed in the book. That's why we are checking if you have the books and are reading them. Even with the book I would have had a tough time following it perfectly without a coach. Please, seek one.

Thanks, I appreciate the specific, actionable advice

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by PappyVanWinkle View Post
    Doesn’t posting on this forum, presuppose that I have read the books?
    We all wish... but you'd be surprised. Even more shocking... there are frequent posters here who don't actually lift!?!?

But back to the topic at hand. Follow the advice above, but I'd like to add that I never really got the deadlift setup right until Nick showed me at a seminar. The correct set up for the deadlift isn't comfortable. It's not a position you would voluntarily choose to be in and it's not something you'll discover by accident. You have to force yourself into it.