starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Critique

Default Squat Critique

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey everyone, I started the program around 2 months ago and I've made a lot of progress since then. I've gained around 25lbs and my squat has increased from 180 to 275. I have read the book and am constantly working to improve my form on the squat because it has been the most difficult lift for me to get perfect. I've posted a video of each squat set from my workout today and would appreciate any criticism or insight on what I need to improve or anything that I'm missing. Thanks in advance

Set 1 (side view) - YouTube
    Set 2 (angle) -
    YouTube
    Set 3 (angle) -
    YouTube

I'd start by flipping the hooks around so you can squat facing out into the room instead of smack against the wall.

First, your upper back needs to be tighter. Think proud chest or Tits out. Pin your elbows to your sides, they are flared too far up right now.

Fix your gaze on the floor about 5' in front of you and stare a hole through it.

When you squat point your nipples at the floor and shove your knees out as you sit back. Bounce out of the hole and drive your ass up.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Patterson View Post
    First, your upper back needs to be tighter. Think proud chest or Tits out. Pin your elbows to your sides, they are flared too far up right now.
    Agreed. If you want to see what a really tight setup looks like watch Austin Baraki squat. Take every set out like it's heavy and when you get to the heavy sets you'll be doing it the right way.

I also noticed your knees sliding way forward. Stop them from making it quite so far forward and get them where they need to be by the time you are halfway down. The whole bottom half of the squat should be all hips.