starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Attempted fixes, now anterior shoulder pain

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Let's see...I have fractional plates and have been using those to make the small jumps last week and today for upper body lifts.

I have been deadlifting 3 times per week. Trying to follow the LP as stated in the book. Maybe I should continue to lift 3 x per week but go to 3x5? Or should I go back to 175x5 and work back up?

I tracked last week and was getting about 100g of protein per day so I am already trying to focus on that. I know I need another 50g or so. But only around 1800kcal/day which I know is not enough.

I'd recommend reducing the number of days per week that you deadlift. You should be on an A/B schedule with them where you deadlift one day and power clean or row the other day (or do a light set).

Monday: Deadlift
    Wednesday: Power clean
    Friday: Deadlift

Something like that.

Great! I will do that.

Thanks again for all the advice. I'll let you know how it goes.

By the way, what shoes are those, just out of curiosity?

They are Adidas Powerlift .3.

Sorry, you had asked me about my shoes a while back and I totally forgot to answer your question.

Here's a link.

Amazon.com | adidas Performance Women's Powerlift.3 W Cross-Trainer Shoe | Fitness & Cross-Training

Thanks. I have the previous version, but something about those look more substantial (and the ugly colors are cheap!!)

I tried something this morning that all but eliminated my shoulder pain and figured I'd share, in case it's still relevant.

Previously, when approaching the bar, I'd have my back musculature as loose as possible when making contact with it, so I could effectively "wrap" my upper back around the bar and "grip" it tightly. However, I just wasn't able to pull my back tight enough.

Today, I made sure to already have contracted my upper back when making contact with the bar, to provide a ready-made "shelf" for it. Found it way easier to continuously squeeze my upper back together throughout the lift and also "drive" it into my traps on the ascent. First set, no pain, second and third sets, 90-95% gone.

Couldn't quite tell from the clip in the first post if you might be having the same issue, but thought it worth sharing.

Thanks for the follow up.

I have changed a few things which seem to be helping and I will add your tip to the list. I widened my grip a little bit and lowered my elbows. Those things have made it manageable. I have been able to keep adding weight to the bar so I guess its good enough to continue.

Today it didn't hurt while I squatted but now, about 5 hrs after, my shoulder is very achy, enough that I just took some IBU.

The ugly color of those shoes are cheap! That's why I have the purple/yellow. I think the black were like twice as much.

Quote Originally Posted by mlga View Post
    Thanks for the follow up.

I have changed a few things which seem to be helping and I will add your tip to the list. I widened my grip a little bit and lowered my elbows. Those things have made it manageable. I have been able to keep adding weight to the bar so I guess its good enough to continue.

Today it didn't hurt while I squatted but now, about 5 hrs after, my shoulder is very achy, enough that I just took some IBU.

The ugly color of those shoes are cheap! That's why I have the purple/yellow. I think the black were like twice as much.
    I've also since widened my grip and tried to lower my elbows. Approaching the bar with the back muscles already completely flexed helped me keep the elbows down (in the sense that I was able to "push" the bar into my traps as cued on the ascent).

As for the shoes, can't really see a point in the "good" color, as weightlifting shoes are a perfect example of that whole "lipstick on a pig" thing .

starting strength coach development program
    If you haven't, you might want to run a full course of ibuprofen treatment just to chase out the last of the inflammation.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12