starting strength gym
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Squats Depth/Form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    YouTube

If the above video is to believed, I see what you mean, there's a subtle difference in my angle and the one in the video. The guy squatting almost looks like he bends over.

I just realized what I'm doing wrong, when my hips break, I'm not letting my torso move with it, I'm trying to keep my back rigid, but at the expense of the horizontal angle.

Okay here is today's technique practice- I skipped Friday's, got drunk, and ate like a 3rd world beggar all weekend so this felt super tough. My sets up to this point I didn't move my head, and I've tried to implement everything hats been suggested. The flat wrists don't feel like my back stays as tight as normal. Here it is, critique away.

YouTube

Hey man,

These squats are borderline on depth. You're breaking hips first. Knees and hips at the same time. Slow down to quarter speed and you will really see it. It looks like you get on your toes as well. Think about the master cue! You may need to take a little weight off and just bury these

Even just doing the body weight master cue I can tell how much my balance is off during squats. I am gonna do a hard reset with squats and make myself slow down,and focus of keeping my balance at the mid foot. Thanks for all the help everyone!

starting strength coach development program
    Yeah, taking 10-12% off or so would probably help. Do a weight you know you can handle and just bury them and work back up. They don't need to be 100% perfect in order for you to progress, FYI. Get some good depth and keep hammerin' away at your technique.
    What really helped me when I had balance issues was doing tempo squats on my light day. I used to get on my toes like crazy, even with light weight. I didn't like my coach yelling at me, so I started to intentionally go down slow (I didn't count but probably like 3 seconds) and really focused on breaking at the hips and knees at the same time and staying on the midfoot. Its helped so much and coach is very happy. If you find you're still having issues give tempos a try!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123