starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift Form Check

Default Deadlift Form Check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    140 lb 5ft 8in

150 lb x 5

I feel my form is off but I cannot pin point the exact problem.

Are my hips shooting up too fast? Is my starting position off?

YouTube

There are several issues here. Bar is too far away from you, hips start too low, and you're not squeezing your chest up before the pull.

Watch this: YouTube

And implement that set up sequence. Take your time and be deliberate as you set up and pull.

Also eat, a lot.

I appreciate your feedback. I reviewed the Alan Thrall video and worked on the "5 step deadlift". I took the reps a little slow to focus on setup.
    YouTube
    YouTube

Your set up was better, but when you set the bar down, you set it down too far away from you, and you're still dropping your hips a bit too much.
    Between setting the bar down over your toes and letting it swing away from you that puts the weight over your toes instead over midfoot.

Keep the bar closer to you
    Keep your hips higher than you want
    Quit looking in the mirror
    Get some non-compressible shoes so that you can feel what you're feet are doing.

Much better setup. To remove the "jerk" at the beginning, squeeze your chest up while keeping your hips up. Like in Alan's video, this will take out any slack so when you start the lift there is no jerking on the bar.

Agree with Michael about mirrors and shoes.

You're making improvements, keep it going!

Thank you for the tips. Here's my latest sets. I don't think I have the squeeze your chest up step down yet. I noticed later in my set I wasn't dragging the bar directly up my body like I was in previous sets. Am I again placing the bar too far away?
    YouTube
    YouTube

starting strength coach development program
    I only watched the last video. You still need to get tighter. As the set progresses, you have less and less back extension. At the end, you're pretty round, soft, and looking around. Squeeze hard, lift your chest, look more forward.