starting strength gym

Thread: Squat, Press, Deadlift

Default Squat, Press, Deadlift

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi everyone,

New to Strarting Strength, and have just uploaded videos of my recent squat, press, deadlift workout. I would love any feedback you could give, especially regarding the squat.

I apologise that the deadlift and press video angles are not the best, so am not expecting too much about them.

Here they are:

YouTube

YouTube

Deadlift 110kg (242lbs) - YouTube

Some of my own comments about the squat:

• I think I go too deep, yet it always feels 'shallow' when I am squatting?
    • I am planning on getting the correct shoes

Thanks in advance, I really appreciate it. As I am living in Australia, I have found it difficult to find coaches who really understand the Starting Strength method.

Rhys.

I am new when it comes to this kind of thing, so I could be wrong but here is what my eye detects:
    Squat: your starting position looks too low, the bar should be about mid chest/nipple high- raise the hooks a notch. I don't know if this is the camera angle, but your left wrist looks like it's in flexion while your right stays straight- keep both wrists straight or you're in for some pain down the road (trust me). You're losing tightness in your upper back, youllnotice your elbows cranked up on several reps and the bar moves forward, stay tight. And in the bottom of the hole your knees look like they move in a circular motion, You need to make your knees stay in line with your feet.

OHP: can't help you, because mine is garbage.

DL: keep your back rigid/flat in your starting position,it looks like there is a slight rounding (maybe it's the camera angle). And you are rowing your deadlift. If you notice your row your DL up and it causes you to shrug at the top. Keep your arms straight, your entire posterior chain does the work here, not your biceps. And it looks like, at least to me that the bar doesn't stay in contact with you the entire time, I don't know if that is a symptom of you rowing or if it's your hips rising slightly faster than your chest, I'm inclined to say it's the rowing.

There's what I see, and again I'm new to this stuff, and can only tell you what I notice.

Squat: your stance in too narrow and you are very upright. Widen your stance by about half your foots width on each side. Bend over sooner and get your chest aimed at the ground. Be tighter.

Press: put the hooks one notch higher. Keep your wrists straighter and get your elbows under the bar. Squeeze everything. You're like a wet noodle.

Deadlift: really need a more oblique angle. I think you are too far from the bar, but I can't tell. Read/watch the 5 step deadlift set up and follow it exactly.

Thanks so much for the input guys, this is really helpful. I'll try and make some of these corrections later today and send through another video (including a better angle for the deadlift).

Where do you train?

I train at PTC Adelaide

I had another go yesterday at fixing some of the things you guys mentioned but honestly I don't see much of a change in the videos I've recorded so I might have another go next time I train before I post again. I also had a look at the deadlift from the correct angle and it doesn't look at all right, so I'll work on following the 5 steps more closely.

Thanks again, it's a little overwhelming trying to learn these lifts on your own. I've read the book about three times but actually doing them is still another step.

Will keep you updated.

Rhys.

starting strength coach development program
    Rhys,

Don't let yourself feel too overwhelmed. It takes some time. I'd recommend filming all of your sets, including your empty bar warm ups, and watch them before you do the next set. It'll help you catch things quicker. Feel free to post as many form checks as you need, just try to make sure they're well filmed.

Jeff.