starting strength gym

Thread: deadlift - if this is lumbar flexion, then im in big trouble

Default deadlift - if this is lumbar flexion, then im in big trouble

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    YouTube

I'm investigating the theory that I'm one of those people who lack a neural link between their conscious brain and the muscles that surround the lumbar spine. very submaximal weight.

I can voluntarily arch my lower back, I think. But maybe not? If I'm not doing it in this video, then I've never done it before. I'm north of 30% body fat, so the arch may be more subtle than it would look on a leaner position, but I'm pretty much 100% sure that my lower back muscles are contracted. Am I wrong?

If I am, is there any way to fix this without a coach? Florida is a starting strength deadzone. (Which if you think about it for a second is just flat-out bizarre, since in the history of human civilization there has never existed a larger concentration of wealthy-enough old people than the one that exists presently on the gulf coast of FL. If I were the barbell medicine crew, I'd be on Florida approximately 364 days a year. Maybe fly back on Easter to visit the grandkids.)

YouTube

wrong link my bad

I'd try getting your hips a little lower. It looks like they start a little high. But the flexion didn't look that bad to me.

Stand up straight and put your hands on your lower back. You'll be able to feel whether it moves or not when you arch.
    As for your deadlifts, it's tough to answer questions about your back from this angle and with this quality of video. Read the sticky about they type of video to post for deadlift checks and post again.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Grantham View Post
    Stand up straight and put your hands on your lower back. You'll be able to feel whether it moves or not when you arch.
    As for your deadlifts, it's tough to answer questions about your back from this angle and with this quality of video. Read the sticky about they type of video to post for deadlift checks and post again.
    in order to answer questions about my back, you have to see a video of my front? i think if I had posted a front-45 degree video as per the sticky, a lot of people would have wondered how i expected them to be able to analyze the position of my lumbar spine in a video that did not contain any footage of my lumbar spine, dont you?

It should be about hip high, that makes it easier too

If it were not possible to judge lumbar extension from a front quarter angle it would not have been included in suggestions for deadlift form checks.
    High side angle also works.

Hello,

I think that in his bok on 5/3/1, Jim Wenlder said something along this line: if you properly arch back the top of your spine, then lumbar extension comes almost for free.

Hope this helps,

IPB

Quote Originally Posted by IlPrincipeBrutto View Post
    Hello,

I think that in his bok on 5/3/1, Jim Wenlder said something along this line: if you properly arch back the top of your spine, then lumbar extension comes almost for free.

Hope this helps,

IPB
    In mean 'ol Mr. gravity, Rip says "The lower back is indeed hard to put into concentric contraction, and assuming it will stay that way if you contract the muscles superior to it is not a safe assumption at all.

starting strength coach development program
    The video angle is worthless for this single purpose (judging lumbar flexion).

Camera needs to be up higher, and maybe off to the side a little more.