starting strength gym

Thread: Squat and deadlift form check

Default Squat and deadlift form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024

Deadlift is 5x245, squat last set of 5 at 195.

Concerned that my back is not properly set in deadlift. Sorry for the delay in between reps, my grip is failing and chalk hasn't arrived yet.

I appreciate the help.

Squat: Bring your stance in an inch on each side. Stay in your hips a little longer. You have a tendency to pick your head up a little and lift your chest.
    Deadlift: Your back doesn't really move during the rep, which is good, but it could stand to be in better extension. Try to point your chest at the wall in front of you before you pull.

Deadlift: Could be me but it doesn't look like you're actually trying to set your back. Your back should feel like a bowl. Rotate your chest up and out (don't just pull on the bar) and point your asshole at the wall. It's not gonna be comfy. Also, this isn't really a set of five, its five singles with a ton of time in between reps. At 245 if you're having a grip issue try either using a hook grip or a mixed grip.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Grantham View Post
    Squat: Bring your stance in an inch on each side. Stay in your hips a little longer. You have a tendency to pick your head up a little and lift your chest.
    Deadlift: Your back doesn't really move during the rep, which is good, but it could stand to be in better extension. Try to point your chest at the wall in front of you before you pull.
    Thanks, that's reassuring. I noticed myself bringing my chest and head up during the squat -- it's me reacting to the weight moving slowly. I've started to remind myself to "grind" as I come up, not to try to pull myself into a standing position too early. I take it as long as my back stays straight during the rep I'm OK to keep moving the weight up.

Quote Originally Posted by djoksimo View Post
    Deadlift: Could be me but it doesn't look like you're actually trying to set your back. Your back should feel like a bowl. Rotate your chest up and out (don't just pull on the bar) and point your asshole at the wall. It's not gonna be comfy. Also, this isn't really a set of five, its five singles with a ton of time in between reps. At 245 if you're having a grip issue try either using a hook grip or a mixed grip.
    Thanks djoksimo. I am trying to squeeze my back, I think I just lack the flexibility to get really good looking extension. I can cup my back like a bowl standing up, but it's a real struggle to do it bent over. Kind of confused on how to work on this -- I'm open to your advice if you have any suggestions.

I am using a mixed grip on the last 2 or 3 reps here, can't exactly tell from the video. I've ordered chalk which should make grip less of an issue in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by cwmcarthur View Post
    it's a real struggle to do it bent over
    What I really meant to say is, "I can't do it bent over."

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by cwmcarthur View Post
    Kind of confused on how to work on this -- I'm open to your advice if you have any suggestions.
    Funny you should ask...

If you were to ever find my log(s) on here you'd find I had a total bitch of a time learning to set my back. What helped me the most was doing the stretch SSC's use to teach lumbar extension (superman stretch) and really focusing on pulling my chest off the ground. I find it makes more sense if you have your arms at your side when you do it. Once you get used to how it feels, replicate that feeling in your deadlift setup.