Thread: Squat Check 230lbs

Default Squat Check 230lbs

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey everyone,

could you have a look at the form in the following squat set:
    Sign in - Google Accounts

I am currently a bit worried of too much forward movement in the knees at the bottom of the squat, hence the improvised TUBOWs. Started having this problem when i notice that i wasn't deep enough and i guess I over-compensated and went too deep. Height-wise i think I am fine in this Vid, but will gladly be corrected.

Also lately I am battling with some back rounding and was wondering whether it is too present here.

Thanks in advance for all your feedback!

Sorry guys, posted the wrong link!
    Here you go:
    YouTube

P.S.: I know about the lifting shoes. Am getting the Chucks soon, because I don't really go for the elevated heel models.

These aren't too bad. I would strongly suggest that you lower the hooks one notch. You need to get a whole lot tighter. A belt will help.

Quote Originally Posted by Nadim View Post
    P.S.: I know about the lifting shoes. Am getting the Chucks soon, because I don't really go for the elevated heel models.
    Why? Do you have a legitimate reason to not use a raised heel when it is demonstrably advantageous to squat with a little bit of heel?

1) because I have tried a couple of the common models and always had pain. I have a particularly wide splay foot, so this is actually a problem I battling my whole life. All my everyday shoes are also extra-wider around the knuckle area. If you know any brand that can provide these, I'd be glad. I already had to send back 4 different pairs.

2) I frankly have conflicting information there. Internet and PL friends say contracting things. I think Rip is a strong proponent of the squat shoe and as I am trying to follow SS for a while now, I was looking into those shoes, as mentioned in 1).

3) as of now I feel quite comfortable barefoot, so I supposed that flat sole would be fine. Also my ankles don't seem to have any mobility issues, so it never really came to my mind, that I need the lifted sole.

The adidas powerlift3.1 is supposed to be a wider design than the regular powerlift3. Have you tried those already?

Even if you have the ankle mobility the shoe effectivly widens and lengths the contact you have with the ground. It’s also flat on the bottom while the inside contours to your natural arch, providing more support and ground contact. Overall it is a much more stable way to train.

Chucks don’t provide the arch support that lifters do. And do not provide as snug a fit due to lack of a metatarsal strap.
    Last edited by Ben Patterson; 10-12-2017 at 03:48 PM.

OK, thanks, I just ordered the 3.1 and will try it on. I had the 3 and that would kill my foot just after 30 minutes of wearing it at home!

I've tried a bunch of the Adidas shoes (admittedly not the Powerlift 3.1, but Powerlift 2.0, Adipowers, etc)... they're ALL NARROW. I also have wide feed, ended up going with Reebok Crossfit Lift Plus 2.0. Super comfy and break in to be even more comfy, while extremely supportive and they don't budge with weight on the back. You can see me squatting in them in my lifting thread, if interested.

Regarding the video, form looked good, but as Jeff noted, you just need to get tighter. I believe that'll happen with time/reps.

My only suggestion would be to always squat over the safety arms... that's what they're there for. Especially when you're alone! Safety first. Don't care how light the weight is for you, freaky stuff happens to everyone. As the weight goes up this is even more important.

Keep at it...

starting strength coach development program
    Grrr... what's with this forum and lack of edit buttons??

Reebok Crossfit Lifter Plus 2.0 is what I meant to say. They were also one of the cheapest options when I bought them over two years ago. I think I paid like $120??