starting strength gym

Thread: Beginner squat form check / knee pain

Unhappy Beginner squat form check / knee pain

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I am a newbie to lifting and have been doing SS for last 7-8 weeks (haven't started power cleans yet). Every week I have managed to do at least 2 workouts, and for some I managed 3 workouts. I am a 39 yo male, 73 kg bodyweight, no previous lifting history, sedentary lifestyle. My progress has been slow, but steady: S 72.5kg, DL 90 kg, BP 47.5 kg and P 30 kg. I am happy with my progress so far and intend to continue further.

Over last week or 2, I started experiencing discomfort/pain above the knee area (quad tendon?). The pain/discomfort is least after the warm up and I can pull off the work sets. But it returns the next day -- I have noticed that the discomfort increases with knee flexion and is more acute in right knee. This also coincided with two weeks of weekly 3 training sessions.

My first thought is I am doing something wrong, and hence this squat form check request. I sincerely appreciate all your feedback.

Squats 72.5 kg, set 1
    Squats 72.5 kg, set 3

The second reason could be that my body (especially knees/quads) has not had a chance to recover sufficiently for 3 workouts a week regime. Sleep has been an issue (have young children).

I have enjoyed SS immensely and for someone who never stepped a foot in the weight room before, this was a revelation! So I want to make sure I am doing everything correctly before even thinking about pausing due to this pain.

Thanks in advance, everyone!

You're not reaching depth... not ideal and IMO puts more stress on the knees. This is anecdotal... I haven't searched for evidence to back this up, but everyone I know who 'half squats' complains of knee pain.

/BroScience

The one thing I noticed as the camera moved to the side view in the first video is that you have some knee slide. Sorry, I don't have much else based on the camera angles.. maybe someone else will be able to offer something more constructive.

Quote Originally Posted by BBB View Post
    You're not reaching depth... not ideal and IMO puts more stress on the knees. This is anecdotal... I haven't searched for evidence to back this up, but everyone I know who 'half squats' complains of knee pain.

/BroScience

The one thing I noticed as the camera moved to the side view in the first video is that you have some knee slide. Sorry, I don't have much else based on the camera angles.. maybe someone else will be able to offer something more constructive.
    Thanks, you are right. My squats two weeks ago felt much deeper than those in the videos, the knee issue is limiting the range.

I need to keep an eye on the sliding issue.

These are tough videos. Can you get one filmed at hip height from the rear 45 degree angle?

As BBB said, you are half squatting. You are also comparatively upright. Both of threse put more stress on the knees and quads. Your knees, most certainly your right, is not tracking over your foot, but rather is staying somewhat caved in.

You need to get your hips back and bend over more. Make your thighs stay in line with your feet. If they won't we need to adjust your stance.

Are your legs of unequal length?