starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form Check

Default Squat Form Check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I wanted to see what my form looked like. I was looking up and doing a high bar squat. I am trying to get the low bar squat right. I will try to get someone else to film it if this angle doesn't work.

I appreciate any input.

YouTube

Start by leaning over more, you are too upright and your torso is too vertical. When you come out of the bottom stay leaned over and drive your hips up. Think as if someone has a rope attached to your low back and is pulling your ass up.

Thanks Dave. Do you think I may need to get the bar a little lower? I was having the bar roll forward some before. Maybe that is why I am not bending over enough.

Quote Originally Posted by GabeC View Post
    Thanks Dave. Do you think I may need to get the bar a little lower? I was having the bar roll forward some before. Maybe that is why I am not bending over enough.
    Can’t really see where it’s sitting from the angle here.

Verify it is correct by feeling for the spine of your scapula with your hand behind the opposite shoulder. It helps to be near to the arm when you do this. After you’ve found it with your hand you can find it with the bar. When you set up the bar should touch the very bottom of the bone you felt.

Okay Been, I will make sure I am doing that. Thanks for the advice.

The bar is high. You need to get it down about its diameter, maybe a touch more. Be sure to read and apply the thoracic extension article on here as you adjust the bar position.

If you can find a rack with adjustable hooks instead of those goofy welded-on series, it will help.

Thanks Jeff. I read that article. I definitely think I was putting my neck down in and attempt to get more horizontal.

Quote Originally Posted by GabeC View Post
    Thanks Jeff. I read that article. I definitely think I was putting my neck down in and attempt to get more horizontal.
    I used to do the same thing, keep your thoracic spine in extension and lean forward at your waist instead of your upper back

I tried to take into account what you guys said. I also put my thumbs around the bar to get it lower. It's something Nick at WFAC had showed me.

I thought the last 3 reps look pretty decent and definitely better. I appreciate your guys input.

This was my last set at 245lbs.

YouTube

starting strength coach development program
    If you can put the bar one hook lower, it'll help. You are still lifting your head a little bit. Also, work on getting tighter.