starting strength gym

Thread: Squat and Power Clean Form Check

Default Squat and Power Clean Form Check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello all,
    Looking for some input on my form in the squat and power clean. Also let me know if I should capture from another angle.

Squats
    This is my 3rd set at 320. My first concern was depth, but SS is also my first exposure to the low bar squat. I'm sure I'm probably making a handful of mistakes.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/F9BNGzGWlWPd7bFE3

Power Clean

I've never been coached on these, so really have no idea of where I am on them. This is my 4th and 5th set at 145. I recorded first from the side and then from in front.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/xEyvp80lDFZUUA2Z2

https://photos.app.goo.gl/RtHZXVMS4NdvtwVI2

For all these videos, can you get your camera at roughly hip height? These angles are not ideal for seeing what's happening in your lifts, especially your squat. That said...

Squat: These are a good half foot high. You need to get lower, hips below the tops of your knees. You'll have to take some weight off to do this. You'll probably have to go back to 275. If you have to go even lighter to get all the way down, do it. I can also say that you are not really getting tight at the top and bracing yourself before you go. Take a big breath, squeeze your chest up to set your back, then squeeze your abs, and squeeze your quads too. Then go.

Power Clean: You have an arm pull. You are bending your arms right before you jump. Repeat the step in the learning process where you jump with the bar in your hands, keeping your elbows locked / arms straight. This is how you have to jump when performing the movement. Arms don't bend till after the jump. Your stance is also a bit wide, and gets wider as the set proceeds. Narrow it -- 8 to 12 inches between the heels.

The camera angles are awful. I can't tell much for the powercleans because of the angle and I'm still learning them. Your squat is high, stop moving between reps, and keep your upper back tight, you start losing thoracic extension. But again the angle makes it difficult to tell much, read up on the forum guidelines to get the appropriate angles.

Thank you for the advice. I dropped to 275 and tried to get tighter. Watching the video I think I have a little thoracic spine extension. I probably need to get my chest up more. I also think that in trying to get a good back angle I am overcompensating a little and not coming all the way up at the top of the squat. Should I finish standing straighter?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ejgAsMpPSOYdZvOA3

What kind of shoes are you wearing?

In this set, your stance is too wide. Narrow it about half of one foot's width on each side and then make your knees stay out over your feet the whole time. I ask about the shoes because your feet are rolling around - part of which is because you're knees are knocking in but part of it looks like it might be due to the shoes, too. You also need to set the hooks one notch lower than you currently have it.

I can bring my stance in. The shoes are new balance minimus. I know that my right ankle tends to roll because of an old injury (trimalleolar fracture with dislocation). I have seen in when reviewing videos of my self in jiu jitsu competitions. But going back and watching the video I can see it in my left ankle too, even if maybe a little less pronounced. I'll see if correcting my stance and knee tracking corrects that. But if not, any recommendations on what I should look for in shoes?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    I can bring my stance in. The shoes are new balance minimus. I know that my right ankle tends to roll because of an old injury (trimalleolar fracture with dislocation). I have seen in when reviewing videos of my self in jiu jitsu competitions. But going back and watching the video I can see it in my left ankle too, even if maybe a little less pronounced. I'll see if correcting my stance and knee tracking corrects that. But if not, any recommendations on what I should look for in shoes?
    Get actual lifting shoes. On a budget, the Addidas Power Lifts are fine or go with Do Wins, Romelos, Adipowers, etc. Something with a solid sole and a raised heel.