starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check

Default Squat form check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Below video is my 2nd set at 195X5. Any inputs/comments appreciated.

YouTube

The bar is a little high on your back, the squats are shallow and your knees are getting too far forward.

Get the bar about it's diameter lower on your back.

Start the descent by breaking at the hips and knees at the same time and immediately get your chest aimed at the ground. Your knees are going to stop moving forward once the get to or just a little in front of your toes, they should get there by the time you are halfway down, and they stay there until you are halfway up (try using a TUBOW).

Remember the Master Cue and make sure you squeeze tight.

Jeff, thanks for the feedback. I had to google TUBOW and I found out have a lot of TUBOW in my garage

I’ll work on this and re-read SS Squat chapter. I want to get technique nailed before weights get too heavy. Thanks again.

Yeah, I had to do the same thing for TUBOW.

Where do you train?

I train at Lifetime fitness. They have 5 decent half racks with platforms and weights. The video was last night when the place was about empty.

I've never been in a Lifetime. That one looks pretty nice.

starting strength coach development program
    I was at LA Fitness and always had issues finding time in the single squat rack they had. They also didn’t have space to perform power cleans so I used to steal a bench and bar and do them in the 3 ft of space between benches. That ended when I got ridiculed by a trainer who demanded I give him the bar/bench so he can train is 95 year old client on the decline bench.
    I think Lifetime is seen as more of a ‘resort’ or ‘country club’ type of place. They certainly have some nice amenities. But when I toured the gym and saw all the racks and platforms I was sold. Seems that Lifetimes are all getting retrofitted with a functional fitness package (CrossFit bandwagon) and they have nice platforms, a large open space for functional training with rowers, TRX rig and all sorts of equipment that is separated by a half wall from the free weights. I kind of like it when it isn’t busy. Bumper weights are a nice touch for Olympic lifts that you might drop to the floor.