starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Press form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Yes, he does a hybrid pressing style. I wanted to show you good technique just in case you were more of a visual learner and had trouble conceptualizing what we were saying to you. You can look up other people pressing. No matter the style 1.0 or 2.0 or hybrid), the same comments apply: good setup, good elbow position, good brace (that is maintained), proud chest, locked legs, all of which you need to improve on

Chest up puts the back in thoracic extension which reinforces the good elbow position and a tight upper back. Elbows forward also maintains this. As your elbows drop what happens to your chest? And then what does the bar do?

I've tried to put all this good advice into practice. Widened grip a little, and tried to stay much tighter. Bar starts a notch lower. Kept chest proud as shown in your example video. But moving chest under bar like that, seems to have caused by wrists to bend, which I'll try to correct on Friday (got Bench on wednesday). A little lower back discomfort after session, which had gone away over weekend. Guess Squat/Press/DL are all hitting lower back, and the muscles are working like they haven't before. Not ready for belt until much more experienced.

I've spliced sets 2 and 3 of the Press together in this clip....

These are getting better. I think you are confusing knee bend/push press for the hip snap described for Press 2.0. Your knees shouldn't be bending. Work on squeezing your butt and thighs as hard as you can. That will help with the snap and will probably make your back feel better. You might also do better if you can press so you aren't looking in the mirror. I've actually found pressing looking into the mirror way harder than squatting looking in the mirror.

Good catch on your wrists. A lot of the time, that just takes practice. Make an effort to reset them at the start of each rep.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by neils View Post
    I've tried to put all this good advice into practice. Widened grip a little, and tried to stay much tighter. Bar starts a notch lower. Kept chest proud as shown in your example video. But moving chest under bar like that, seems to have caused by wrists to bend, which I'll try to correct on Friday (got Bench on wednesday). A little lower back discomfort after session, which had gone away over weekend. Guess Squat/Press/DL are all hitting lower back, and the muscles are working like they haven't before. Not ready for belt until much more experienced.

I've spliced sets 2 and 3 of the Press together in this clip....
    Your wrists are bent before you even start pressing. NOTE: You will need to have the bar *off* your chest (more under the chin) in order to get the elbows and wrists in the starting position. I would completely stop the attempts at hip thrusts / press 2.0, they are only causing problems and are not helping you at all. Do a "press 1.0" which is to keep the lower body rigid and press up. You can use the rebound for subsequent reps. Once you perfect those then you can add the hips back in.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12