starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Press form check

Default Press form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I am a 57 year old masters novice, two weeks into the Barbell Prescription program. This is Session 6 , third working set of Press, and really finding the weight heavy. I started all exercises lighter in Session 1 and have added 5kg (11 lbs) at each Session. Want to get form correct so I can progress. (apologies for rear view, but all squat racks face a mirrored wall and no way to get in front)

YouTube

You are very, very loose. When you press, you need to make everything tight. Squeeze your thighs and butt in particular and tighten your abs like you are about to get gut punched. Try to not bend your knees and work at keeping your feet hard on the ground.

I'd have you take a wider stance to help your balance and would probably move your hands just a little further apart. Don't begin the press by moving your butt back. Rather, while squeezing everything as outlined above, pop your hips forward (like you may gave done as a kid to avoid getting your butt smacked by your mom).

All of the above, plus,

grip- too narrow??

Wrists also not held straight...they seem to be bent back. Keep the wrists locked and the bar over the forearm.

Everything that everyone else has said but here are some different comments
    1) these are not heavy. There was never a doubt about you completing these for a set of fives. Presses just suck..
    2) I would lower the bar in the rack one notch
    3) getting a belt and squat shoes will help with your stability
    4) keep elbows up and in—elbows should be slightly in front of bar. You may get there when you start your bounce but it is tough to say from here. aim for your nose on the way up and down. lead with your elbows on the way down

Neils:

All of the above. Even from this angle, it looks like you need to cue "chest up." Try filming from the side for a set or two on your next workout. Make sure your upper back is tight, chest is up, and does notcollapse forward in anticipation of the hip thrust.

Keep at it!

The bar looks to be significantly out in front of your midfoot; you are even hunched over. Pinch those shoulders back ("proud chest") the entire time.

Also, reread the book. You should NOT be taking 10# jumps on the press. You should be taking 5# jumps and that typically runs out quickly for older trainees... 2.5# and even 1# jumps becomes the norm.

Hi Neils,

one more thing (sorry, I realise the list is getting long): your need a better grip on the bar.
    With the right grip, it's easier to place the elbows in a correct position.
    Have a look at this video, from 2:00. It explains how to grip the bar for the Press better than a lot of words could ever do.

YouTube

Hope this helps,

IPB

Thanks for all this advice. Only got one Press session this week, which I did yesterday. Not sure I made any improvement... starting to hate this exercise. Into week 3 now, and my deadlift is three times the weight of Press. Squat twice the weight.

So here it is, tried to widen stance, widen grip, and keep everything tighter...

YouTube

It’s okay...the turnaround is going to be a bit slower since it’s online. Watch this video of comrade wolf.
    Note his start up, his elbow position (elbows in front of bar), chest is up, legs are locked, brace is strong, bar path aimed at nose on the way up and down. Now, look at yours. Granted the angle isn’t great, but look at your elbows, chest position, and legs. Your elbows are slightly behind bar, chest is not proud, and your knees are bending. Put the bar one notch lower, get your elbows UP and IN and keep them there the WHOLE lift. On your descent you’re rounding your shoulders forward. Think proud chest the WHOLE lift. Do not lose that tightness. And lock your legs!

Instagram

starting strength coach development program
    It's not for me to criticize, but in only two of those reps does he start the upward movement with a hip press forward. Sure he's very stable. But chest up for the whole exercise seems to mean an arched back under pressure, rather than a mostly straight back. Another review of rip's book coming up ! (Rip also done a recent Press mk 2 video, really focusing on the hip drive forward at start of upward motion)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast