starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why Drag the DL?

Default Why Drag the DL?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Just wondering, why do we drag the DL up the legs? Yea yea I know we want to keep the bar midfoot, but the harder we drag the bar up the legs, the more friction we create working against our drive upward, right? Or is that friction negligible?

Drag up the shins, not use the bar to dig furrows into your shins.

I suppose that's a crucial semantical difference.

I think that's a cue that also is meant to encourage the correct moment arm in the back off the ground. It is a pull, so it should feel like a pull more than a push off the ground with your legs. Plus any friction you get from the leg hairs is orders of magnitude easier to overcome than moving the bar forward an inch.

But Rip has used the cue "leg press the floor away" for the deadlift.

And true, regarding friction of leg hairs vs moment arm created by bar moving away from legs. Then again, I see know benefit of dragging the bar into the legs anymore than is necessary.

Dragging up the shins may also help some to keep their backs flat. Since our shoulders pass the bar at the start point, without the cue, some might be inclined to swing the bar forward off the floor to flex their back for their arms to hang 'straight down' rather than pulling their shoulders towards their butt like they should.

If you feel like you're digging the bar too hard into your legs, maybe your hips aren't high enough when you start?

It wasn't a problem I was having. I think I just saw a few videos of Jordan and or Leah pulling and it seems like they're really dragging the bar up the thigh, and I'm sure I do the same. I was just getting too theoretical perhaps and wondering whether there's such a thing as too much drag.

Im pretty sure there was a detailed thread on this . . . coefficient(s) of friction and what the 'drag' would actually equate to in pounds lifted (not lifted).

It a cue or thought to keep it over mid-foot and not let you build a moment arm which would decrease your efficiency.

starting strength coach development program
    Sorry, can’t seem to edit my original post.
    It’s a cue, nothing more exotic than that. Friction is negligible compared to the lost force due to the moment arm. It is a product of the force perpendicular to it (pushing into your shins in this case) which you aren’t producing much of. Hope that made more sense

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast