starting strength gym

Thread: PC/DL Form check

Default PC/DL Form check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Here a video of my power clean at quite light weight (50kg).

YouTube

Although I would be thankful for any feedback on the power clean, my concern is really my lower back. I can't seem to get the lower back area completely locked out. I can squeeze the chest as much as I want and also tried many different cues, my hip won't tip forward into neutral position.

Naturally, I came to suspect tight glutes and hamstrings and starting a routine to loosen them up now. But I was wondering if you would have any other suggestions for me? Should I keep lifting like this or stop adding weight until I get it right?

Hi Nadim,

Start with correcting your setup for the pull from the floor. Alan's deadlift setup video is a great place to start:

If this doesn't correct your lower back position read Rip's fantastic article on lumbar flexion:
    The Most Important Thing You Will Ever Learn About Lifting Weights | Mark Rippetoe

Let us know how this goes,

Annie

The bar's in front of you a little much. Setup for the power clean is identical to the deadlift, so following the 5-step setup will work well. You may also need a little more weight on the bar so you can pull yourself into position against it.

Also, shoes (of any kind) will help. When you jump, jump up harder.

Thanks for your feedback guys. Shoes are already on their way

So here a video of my 220lbs deadlift (I was alone and couldn't get any better perspective, sorry):
    YouTube

Of course I know the 5 step setup and I try to follow it as good as I can. Have also read both Rippetoe books multiple times by now and spend most of my freetime following up on things in this forum and watching SS videos.

I also knew the video and the technique Rip describes for activating the feeling of the lower back. Actually, I thought that the case that Rip describes in the video would not apply to me: I always feel quite conscious about my lower back, can feel if it's rounded or not and can (in standing position) arch and bend consciously. Nevertheless, I tried the exercise he shows there (laying on the floor and lifting your legs) and deadlifted right after that. I do believe that it indeed had some effect. If I compare my lower back in this video to the one before, I would say it looks much better.

My question now: Is it straight enough?

Your back isn't bad. Work on setting the bar down faster, that helps, too.