starting strength gym

Thread: DL Check

Default DL Check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I'm hoping you guys can pick out anything I've been over looking. I was supposed to do 385x5 today but only managed 3 reps. Reviewing the set, I saw that my lower back was losing extension a bit as I broke the plates from the floor. I dropped down to something I thought I could do while holding myself together for a back off set.

YouTube

I feel like I have a hard time getting into position and I'm not sure why. Am I keeping my hips too high? It feels like I'm not in a good position to initiate with knee extension, and I struggle to find a position that feels strong off the floor. I'm wearing a 4" belt and I know it's been known to affect the starting position. Is there anything you guys notice that I'm just missing? I can upload my failed set from today if that helps, but it's ugly.

These don't look bad. Let's see the set that didn't work.

I think I could have gotten the 4th rep off the floor but I wasn't feeling great about my back position.

YouTube

It's heavy, that's why your back is going. You were able to keep your back set on the first set you posted, but not this. Knock a little weight off. I'd also suggest you check your grip. A lot of time, when the grip gets tired or starts to slip, the back will start to round.

Thanks for taking the time to look at my set. Can you comment on my hips before the pull? They drop a little after I set my back and try to squeeze the bar up. Does that mean they should be a little lower at the start or do I need to hold them up higher so they don't move? I see comments in the SSC forum saying having your hips lower is ok as long as they don't rise "significantly", but I'm not sure just how much qualifies as significant. As for the grip, I'm using the hook grip and it feels really secure.

starting strength coach development program
    Your hips aren't so much dropping as your low back is letting go and rounding. They look similar, but are mechanically different. You could, though, keep your toes where they are and bring your heels a little closer together and drive your knees out into your elbows at the start.