starting strength gym

Thread: Power Snatch Form Check

Default Power Snatch Form Check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    YouTube

Added power snatches back to the program. This is 145x2x4. Wanted input from people that don't tell me to drop my hips.

Things I noticed:
    1. Definitely a moment arm in most of the catches.
    2. Incomplete thoracic extension in a couple of the pulls.
    3. Film from further back, and get the ceiling lights out of the frame if possible.

I'd actually have you bring your grip in about two fingers or so on each side. I think this will help put your back in a better position.

When you jump, jump up - not back. And jump a whole lot harder.

These look pretty good, but your lumbar is flexed. A wider stance might help, and keep your knees out.

Agree with jumping up, not back, disagree with taking a narrower grip, it looks ideal from here.

Thanks Jeff, will do.

Thanks cheese man. As a Wisconsinite I can appreciate

bar moves forward a tad . . . from off-the-floor to just below the knee.

curious, does it hit your shins? or does it just do that on its own?

Hi Sam,

I think your grip is fine, I would not bring it in.

You lockout could be improved. You receive the bar keeping your torso quite straight and vertical, with a minimal angle between your arms and your back. This forces you into a sort of 'sitting on a high stool' receiving position, with very little scope to correct if you are out of balance.

If your shoulder mobility allows, I think that catching lower, with torso leaning forward a bit more, will give you a more stable position.

I also think your tendency to catch high is due to a lack of speed in the very last part of the lift. You pull and explode very quickly, but after the explosion you are a tad slow getting forcefully under the bar. The arms rotate very fast, but the rest of the body is slower, which results in you catching the bar while you are still standing. Get under the bar quicker, and fully; don't just duck under it, really get under and low.

As a last notice, but it's only a 'nice to have', you could rotate your elbows a bit more during the first pull; it will help preventing arm pulling with heavier weights (although with this one you don't show any arm pull).

Hope this helps,

IPB

Thanks guys. MBasic, there were a couple pulls when I hit my shin, but otherwise the bar stayed in contact off the floor. I'll make sure I'm not lazy in my setup next time. IPB, that makes a lot of sense. I'll focus on that when I snatch next week.

starting strength coach development program
    I was snatching with a similar starting foot position as you, more based off of deadlift positioning. One of the Oly lifters at my gym suggested I open my starting stance up some more and I do believe it has helped.