starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Master Cue and Depth on Squats

Default Master Cue and Depth on Squats

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Okay here is my attempt at perfecting my technique. I’ve cut the weight and made myself slow down on the descent. The second set felt better than my last, so the first link is my second set and the second link is my last.

YouTube

YouTube

Better. Your knees still get a bit forward (try a TUBOW through your warm ups). You also look like you set your upper back as you start the descent - work on getting it fixed before you start.

I see the knees good my forward, but can you elaborate on setting my upper back? Do you mean I don’t tighten it until I start to descend?

Watch your back on the way down; does it stay in the same position from the top to the bottom? Doesn't it look like you're flexing and extending it throughout the movement?

Dammit, I see now. I don’t even realize I’m doing that. Thought I finally nailed this freaking thing.

Here is today’s training session. Tried to keep my back tight, eyes layered onto one point, mid foot balance, and kness from moving forward- my knees did move a little.

YouTube

Better with the back, but you're still moving it a little and lifting your head on occasion. Have you read the thoracic extension article? If you don't have ready access to a coach, I'd suggest a TUBOW and a tennis ball for all of your warm ups to help dial in the knees and head issues.

Lifting shoes will help.

I did feel it move on the third rep, I went forward on my toes a bit. There is one coach in my area, but I can’t afford one at the moment. Same goes for the lifting shoes. Should I still progress the weights as I correct these things? I’ll start using the TUBOW and tennis ball in the warm ups as well.

And I have read the article, several times; slow learner here.

starting strength coach development program
    Keep progressing the weight as long as you are also making progress on fixing your technique (this is a good read on the topic). Film and watch every set you do, including your empty bar warmups. That'll help you spot issues and be able to address them quicker.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast