Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Check my squat, please

Default Check my squat, please

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Video here (80kg):
    Shared album - Tobias Andersson - Google Photos

I'm back from a month without squatting, due to golfer's elbow which has showed up a couple of times as soon as I get up to 100kg.

This time I'm trying out a slightly different form than I'm used to. I force my elbows down, instead of up and back. I also focus on keeping t-spine neutral, instead of flexed.

Please let me know if I'm doing something wrong before I start ingraining this new form. Thanks. Sorry for the black shirt, will remember not to do that next time.

You're shallow, into your toes, and your grip is messed up. Work on getting the bar under control on your back much sooner. Make sure to review the squat grip and upper back position information. Get yourself much tighter before you begin the rep. Bend over sooner and stop your forward knee travel earlier in the squat. Your shoes look too squishy, too.

Thanks, Jeff. Much appreciated!

Jeff, if you don't mind, please take a look at my attempt at correcting the mistakes you mentioned. Still squishy shoes though...

My golfer's elbow is only getting worse. Is it likely that is caused by me holding my elbows too high still?

These are better. I'm not seeing anything glaring with your elbows, but you can try adjusting the width of your grip to see if that helps any. Are you running ibuprofen?

Not right now. I've been trying to fix this for a long time, more than a year. I've "cured" it four times now with high dose ibuprofen for 5 days and a rest from squatting for a couple of weeks. I keep coming back thinking that this time I'm gonna find the form that works for my elbows.

What else are you doing that might be setting it off? Have you tried high volume chins to help it?

I've eliminated bench, press and chins a few times when coming back, so those aren't causing it. I don't power clean. I always deadlift, even during my rest from squatting, so that doesn't seem to be causing it. At least not the pain, which sets in when I start squatting again.

I do play racquet sports, but I get golfer's in both elbows.

I have not tried high volume chins. I read about the protocol but thought it was only a one-time thing for getting rid of the pain, and I could do that on my own with ibuprofen and rest. Are you saying I should try it for actually curing my elbow once and for all, or that I should be doing them all the time while squatting as well? I'll have another read about them...

Hi Jeff, please take a look at my current efforts of correcting the form errors you pointed out (I bought new shoes!).

I got into my toes on the second rep. The last rep felt the most solid. What do you think, what should I work on to improve now?

Elbows still hurting from squats. Since last form check I did the high-volume chin protocol. Strict full ROM chins, worked up to 30 sets of 5 over 6 weeks. No pain when I did it, and it didn't help either. Should the protocol hurt?

Thanks for all the help!

starting strength coach development program
    Is it both elbows or mostly just the right elbow?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast