starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check

Default Squat form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    First squat form check post. 155#, third set of five. Recently read SS 3rd Ed. and have watched every SS video several times. Following the program as closely as possible, but progression is slower than it could be since I have no coach and am "teaching" myself. Also very new to training and barbell training in particular. SS and BB training have resulted in many revelations. Thanks to all for putting this knowledge base and community together.

SFC 101917 155# - YouTube

Some of these are high, some are borderline, but overall not awful.

You’ve got your elbows cranked up too much. Think about getting your elbows pinned to your sides and puff your chest up by tightening your back muscles.

Your stance is too wide, bring it in about an inch or two each side.

Stay balanced over mid- foot. After making the other corrections, the “master cue” can help here.

Thank you!

I've been filming myself from the side until today and as a result haven't spent as much time reviewing/thinking about elbow position or keeping my chest up. I will definitely focus more here.

I recently widened my stance (it felt too wide, actually) and have been focusing on shoving the knees out since I was having trouble with knee travel (forward, bringing me off my heels) and depth. I will definitely bring it in as suggested (hopefully this helps with depth).

Totally agree - the "master cue" is key, I'm just a bit dense (and not the strongest) and can only keep track of two or three cues under weight. As you suggest I will return my focus here as I address the previous issues.

Thank you very much!

If you have trouble with knee travel and being in your toes again after fixing your stance toss up another video here. Fairly often sitting back more can fix the problem, if they are happening together.