starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Form Critique

Default Form Critique

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I know I have a lot to work on. I think my biggest problems are that I drift over to my right (especially on struggle sets) and that my knees and hips do not start the movement together. (hips come before knees). What I am struggling with are cues. Cues work really well for me in learning technique. Or maybe those aren't my biggest problems, and they are stemming from a larger problem. Let me know what you think.

Thanks in advance.

Jake

Side
    YouTube

Front
    YouTube

should have put it in title of thread, but this is for SQUAT.

1. Put the hooks one notch lower, they are too high.
    2. Get tighter. A belt will help, but at least get a harder valsalva.
    3. You are too upright and your knees are sliding around too much. Break at the hips and knees at the same time and immediately get your chest pointed at the ground. Stop your knees forward motion just a little in front of your toes and make sure they get there by the time you're halfway down. Keep your knees at that point until you're halfway back up.
    4. Stop looking up.

Thanks Jeff. I'll work on this for my next squat day. I do wear a belt, (under my shirt in those videos)WIN_20171019_12_24_56_Pro.jpg it's a schiek belt that I've had since throwing in college. It is not a leather lifting belt, but it is pretty sturdy. I think the point about having my knees out over my toes by the time I am half way down will really help a lot of my instability throughout the movement.

Are your legs equal length? Maybe it's the angle, but from the front video your right knee looks just a smidgen higher than left one??

That is a good question. Ever since I have been Collegiate Track & Field my hips get rotated weird around my sacrum. It, i believe, is due to tight spinal erectors/muscle spasms in my spinal erectors and results in one leg sometimes being shorter than the other. I used to be able to do push pull exercises, pushing one knee and pulling the other while fighting the force to even my hips out, but the problem seems to be reoccurring.

Day 2 squatting, focusing on breaking at the hips and knees at the same time, pointing my chest at the ground and keeping my head down. I think I did better but ultimately failed at pointing my chest at the ground. Thoughts? Knees still a little unstable as well....and I keep shifting the weight over my right leg...any cues you guys can think of to fix that? because I don't notice I am doing it and don't have a mirror to look into to make sure I am even.

Also I know the hooks are too low, I was squatting with my 6' brother and I am 6'5.

Front
    YouTube

Side
    YouTube

Thanks,

Jake

oh and I did 6 on my 3rd set. I'm bad at counting haha

You can always move the hooks (and safeties) up and down as needed.

Widen your stance a little and turn out a few degrees more. Don't let your head rise as you start the ascent.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by JcJake View Post
    oh and I did 6 on my 3rd set. I'm bad at counting haha
    Lol, was about to say that!

In the second video, look at your 4th rep and compare it to the 5th. Start at the 35 second mark and see what happens to your knees on the ascent (right around 38-39sec). That was the only rep that I saw your knees caving in like that. Be careful... keep them stable like your other reps.

I would have liked to see a bit more hip drive, but I feel like we can always over-analyze and you looked good for the most part. As the weight goes up you'll have a good idea about what works well for you. Keep at it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast