starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift Check - can i add weight?

Default Deadlift Check - can i add weight?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi
    I am wondering if my form is OK enough based on video below to add weight. I ask because it doesn't *feel* great, but doesnt look terrible to me.

YouTube

I notice that as the weight gets heavy (pulls beyond 200k) its nearly impossible to maintain perfect form and it really bugs me because it isnt a leg strength issue. I think my lats are too weak because 5x5 like this never tires my legs out.

Watch the bar in relation to your feet. You start with it a little too forward and as the set progresses, it keeps going forward and your hips drop. Watch and follow the five step set up video. You can also take another second to finish setting your back in full extension. Don't throw your head around so much. Keep it fixed.

Good advice from Jeff. I think the head movement he mentioned is a result of your mental picture of the lock out position being wrong. You just have to stand up straight, don't lean back and shoot your hips forward at the top.

Also... why 5x5 on the deadlift?

Another note:

You get some increasing spinal flexion when the bar comes off the floor, with the flexion increasing as the set goes on (although it is minor compared to some of the stuff you see on YouTube). Cue "squeeze the bar of the floor." This will keep you from "jerking the bar off the floor," and help keep your spine in extension when beginning the pull.

Thank you all for taking the time to give me your input.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Illingworth View Post
    Watch the bar in relation to your feet. You start with it a little too forward and as the set progresses, it keeps going forward and your hips drop. Watch and follow the five step set up video. You can also take another second to finish setting your back in full extension. Don't throw your head around so much. Keep it fixed.
    Its funny, Ive watched that video about 20 times, yet I still find myself making mistakes. Will do!

Quote Originally Posted by A Schenck View Post
    Good advice from Jeff. I think the head movement he mentioned is a result of your mental picture of the lock out position being wrong. You just have to stand up straight, don't lean back and shoot your hips forward at the top.

Also... why 5x5 on the deadlift?
    You are right, I have been overdoing it with my head. Here I was trying to look down at the ground but I found I can extens my back better if I look forward at the start. Is this right?

And 5x5 because I am in a volume phase of Jordan's intermediate program.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam A View Post
    Another note:

You get some increasing spinal flexion when the bar comes off the floor, with the flexion increasing as the set goes on (although it is minor compared to some of the stuff you see on YouTube). Cue "squeeze the bar of the floor." This will keep you from "jerking the bar off the floor," and help keep your spine in extension when beginning the pull.
    Yes, this spinal flexion is what bothers me because I am not sure how to get rid of it other than with reducing the weight, but then the weight is just too easy and I wonder how much volume I need to get enough stress.

I will focus on squeezing the bar.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam A View Post
    Another note...
    Quote Originally Posted by A Schenck View Post
    Good advice from Jeff...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Illingworth View Post
    Watch the bar...
    Hi guys, I’m coming back to this post because I thought you might find interesting what followed. I don’t know how to “cross-post” to the right forum section so I’m putting it here. I repeated this workout with more attention to form a week later (10/27). I dont have a saved video, but at the same weight (180kg) I had less flexion - I thought I got stronger. I preceded the set with a single at 200kg.

The following day my spinal erectors around my L5/S1 were incredibly sore. They were slightly sore after the workout in the video above, but it went away during the week, now it persists. The soreness radiats out left and right to my kidneys. (It felt like the residual pain left over a week after each time I herniated my L5/S1 in the past).

This “soreness” persists to this day, but after a few days it became a dull pain that flares up every time I bend over or need to brace to pick something up. The pain has become so bad that I can barely do a set of 5 at 140kg. It is preventing me from bracing or holding extension.

I suspect, with no medical basis at all, that I tore or strained a spinal erector. But why? Are my shoulders too far forward? Is it a strength imbalance? Or am I just damaged goods and should expect this will happen at heavy weights even with good form? Would love to know your thoughts.

Thanks for reading...!

starting strength coach development program
    Without seeing the lift(s) or imaging of your back, it's hard to say. Does it hurt when you squat? When you press? When you get out of bed?
    If it's a tear or a sprain, it will get better with proper training and good form. If it's a disc issue, it's harder to say.