starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: First time Power Cleaning

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    How do these look:

It looks like the first one might have been pretty solid. The last 2 I did still catch it off balance. When Slomo'ing it, it does look like I keep my arms straight till after the bar hits my jump point.

Advice?

P.S. I know about the remaining arch in my back. It's not getting any straighter in that position. I'm a bit kypotioc, so it is what it is.

You are a touch close to the bar and you aren't tight enough. Work on starting the pull slower, don't speed up until you're closer to the jump point.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Illingworth View Post
    You are a touch close to the bar and you aren't tight enough. Work on starting the pull slower, don't speed up until you're closer to the jump point.
    I will move a touch back during setup.

So you are saying I should squeeze the bar off the floor slower?

Pretty much. The clean is a deadlift with a jump at the end. Don't focus so much on the jump for the first part of the lift, make it a perfect deadlift that ends with a jump.

So I did some more PC's yesterday using light weight to work on form. I stood alsightly further from the bar and I really tried to foxus on the arm thing. I had alot of mess ups, but a few good ones I think. I caught one of the good ones on camera.

What do you guys think? Much better right?

Getting there. I'd like to see your low back locked up more. Make a greater commitment to the jump, get as far off the ground as you can. You're on the right track.

I started the Bridge which doesn't have PC's , but I'm going to be adding them in some way. I did them after the workout yesterday.

I made sure to step away from the bar a little and tried to focus on some explosiveness on the jump. They felt great! I was struggling with 145lb last time and this time I worked up to 185LB (in singles). I didn't get off balance in any of them.

Heres a video of a 165LB PC, followed by my 185LB PC. Any better?

Quote Originally Posted by timelinex View Post
    I started the Bridge which doesn't have PC's , but I'm going to be adding them in some way. I did them after the workout yesterday.

I made sure to step away from the bar a little and tried to focus on some explosiveness on the jump. They felt great! I was struggling with 145lb last time and this time I worked up to 185LB (in singles). I didn't get off balance in any of them.

Heres a video of a 165LB PC, followed by my 185LB PC. Any better?

You are still arm pulling. Let your hands go along for the ride. Think about jumping and shoving your elbows forward to catch the weight on the delts. Your feet are landing wider than they start. No bueno. Jump into your footprints.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Stacks View Post
    You are still arm pulling. Let your hands go along for the ride. Think about jumping and shoving your elbows forward to catch the weight on the delts. Your feet are landing wider than they start. No bueno. Jump into your footprints.
    I'm trying I'm trying! haha Thanks for the comments.

Is there a reason my feet can't land wider than they start? Is it a safety issue? A competition red light issue?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Stacks View Post
    Your feet are landing wider than they start. No bueno. Jump into your footprints.
    I have to disagree here. There is nothing wrong with landing a bit wider, especially if you start with very close heel.
    I have to agree though that that the OP is landing way too wide (and with staggered feet to boot).

To OP: if you slow down the video to 0.25 normal speed, and pause frame by frame you should see that when at some point you have an upright torso, shoulders beginning to shrug, bent arms and...feet flat on the floor.
    You are rocking your pelvis forward / your shoulders back, then your are starting the shrug/elbow recover, and then you initiate a jump, which is not to elevate the bar up, but to give you time to bend your knees and move your feet laterally to get under the bar.

To get used to how a proper extension feels, you might find it useful to jump with the bar in hand, keeping your triceps locked. Stand up with the bar in hand, lower it a few inches on your thighs, keeping shoulder over the bar, and then jump up. Try to punch a hole in the ceiling. Or try to push your feet into the floor, if you prefer to think about it that way.
    You need to get used to feel your body extending with your arms tight and locked, because that's what you need to do.

Hope this helps,

IPB

PS
    There is no need to slam the bar down like that at the end of the lift.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast