starting strength gym
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: First time Power Cleaning

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by IlPrincipeBrutto View Post
    I have to disagree here. There is nothing wrong with landing a bit wider, especially if you start with very close heel.
    I have to agree though that that the OP is landing way too wide (and with staggered feet to boot).

To OP: if you slow down the video to 0.25 normal speed, and pause frame by frame you should see that when at some point you have an upright torso, shoulders beginning to shrug, bent arms and...feet flat on the floor.
    You are rocking your pelvis forward / your shoulders back, then your are starting the shrug/elbow recover, and then you initiate a jump, which is not to elevate the bar up, but to give you time to bend your knees and move your feet laterally to get under the bar.

To get used to how a proper extension feels, you might find it useful to jump with the bar in hand, keeping your triceps locked. Stand up with the bar in hand, lower it a few inches on your thighs, keeping shoulder over the bar, and then jump up. Try to punch a hole in the ceiling. Or try to push your feet into the floor, if you prefer to think about it that way.
    You need to get used to feel your body extending with your arms tight and locked, because that's what you need to do.

Hope this helps,

IPB

PS
    There is no need to slam the bar down like that at the end of the lift.
    OK I see exactly what you are talking about. I bend the arms before the bar leaves my body even.

I did the things you suggested and also watched a few of Rip's videos on the PC. So I basically did try to keep my triceps locked as long as I can. Here is the result:

It looks better right? I don't bend my elbows till right after the bar leaves my body. Which seems like progress, but as far as I understand it, am I not supposed to bend the arms until i'm at the top of my jump?

So then do I delay this by trying to lock my triceps even longer?

starting strength coach development program
    Hi,

it looks better. A bit slow, and you could be more explosive, but the rhythm of the lift has improved.
    Next thing to look at, IMHO, is the catch. When the bar lands on your delts, your torso is quite upright, the pelvis looks almost directly underneath your shoulders, and your knees shoot forward to compensate. It looks a bit awkward (just a bit, mind), it gives the impression the weight is shifting to your toes.
    Trying to catch the bar a couple of inches lower might help getting into a better receiving position.
    Hope this helps,

IPB

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123