starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Press Form Check

Default Press Form Check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    A triple on the press. Form Check if possible.

YouTube

Hello there.

On the first and second reps, you didn't really use your hips to initiate the movement. You kindof raise the bar up, then let it rest on your chest before actually pressing it overhead. The third rep had some hip thrust, but there was too much time inbetween actually performing the thrust and initiating the press overhead. Try and make those two movements more fluid, with the thrust leading into the press. Solid weight!

You also might want to flip your hat backwards when pressing so the bill of the hat doesn't get in the way

Thank you. Everyone here has been so helpful.

Hell yea. You have a beastly press. Keep at it!

These aren't too bad. Watch your knees, you've got a little push press creep going on toward the end.

If you haven't, try wrapping your wrists on these heavier sets. It makes a world of difference in being able to control the bar and keep it over your forearm.

Awesome press man. Is this your first time putting 2 wheels overhead? I'm so jealous. It does look like you're doing a 1.5 press combo, somewhere between 1.0 and 2.0. Be consistent with the timing of your hip thrust and the start of the bar moving.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Illingworth View Post
    If you haven't, try wrapping your wrists on these heavier sets. It makes a world of difference in being able to control the bar and keep it over your forearm.
    Not too veer too far off topic from the OP's form check, but what wrist wraps do you use/recommend? I was thinking about picking up a pair of the basic rogue 3" width wrist wraps, but wasn't sure about what length to get (12"/24"/36"). Also, have you ever used wrist wraps for incline bench?

I used to use the hips to rebound out of the bottom of the press. I decided to stop that a few months back and work on being a little more strict.
    Now I think I will use the press 2.0 with full hip rebound as my main press and use the strict press and bench press as my pressing variations. I just wanted to make sure my bar path was vertical enough and that I wasn't relying on too much lumbar extension as opposed to thoracic extension.
    Appreciate the responses though everyone. I'm new here and to this community's philosophies. After reading Practical Programming I was sold though.

I mention this bc I haven't seen it mentioned thus far, perhaps bc its too obvious to mention. You lose your balance on the last rep by letting the bar go forward rather than back. When I have this problem, once the bar gets past my head I cue BACK. I noticed that helps with my clients as well.

Ryan, it depends. How big are your wrists, what kind of weight are you moving, do you plan on competing (different federations have different equipment rules). My wife has the 12 and 24 ones and I've worn both. I find the 12 of minimal use. The 24s are fine.

starting strength coach development program
    A couple of things I'm seeing that Jeff hasn't covered.

Your wrist look to be in extension. Try rotating your knuckles a bit more forward like you were knocking on the wall in front of you. Get your elbows up and in. Try to think about squeezing your armpits together.

If you're looking to go back to the 2.0, flex your quads and butt when you're doing the hip motion so you can get that stretch reflex.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast