starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squat Form Check- 270lbs

Default Squat Form Check- 270lbs

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey all. This is my first squat form check. I definitely need some help in this area. Ive progressed nicely over the last month going from 230 to 275, but had what felt like a hip impingement issue when I widened my stance a little. My right hip flexor acted up. I went back to my normal stance, but still feel I need some help.

For a quick background summary (feel free to skip)... Ive been barbell training since January of this year. Discovered SS in the summer. I made every mistake in the book. Not enough protein, calories, went on a low carb cut etc. Also lacked the knowledge of the lifts. I eventually got the book, read the forums, listened to the pods and SS coaches on IG etc and started my SSLP from scratch at the start of Oct. Until recently I was progressing nicely on Squats and DL (about 5 lbs per workout). Bench is decent and press not so great. That said the squat is where I feel I need the most help in terms of form.

Any tips would be much appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to help us.

Links: (I included my last two squat workouts)

2nd Set @ 270lbs x 5 - (rear view) Squat - 270lbs - 2nd Set (10/30/17) on Vimeo
    3rd Set @ 270lbs x 5 - (front view) Squat - 270lbs - 3rd Set (10/30/17) on Vimeo

Stats
    Oct 1 to Present (SSLP)
    Squats: 230 - 275
    Deadlift: 255 - 300
    Bench: 170 - 195
    Press: 105 - 117

Name: Kevin
    H: 510
    W: 182

Squats: 275 x 5
    Deadlift: 300 x 5
    Bench: 195 x 5
    Press: 117 x 5

Calories: 3000+
    Protein: 200 - 225
    Carbs: 300+
    Fat: <100

These aren't bad. Stay on the middle of the foot, keep your gaze down to 4-6 feet in front of you, and don't ever walk the bar straight out of the rack facing forward as you did on the front view angle. You cuould get pretty damn hurt with that approach. Always back it out of the rack.

Not bad... I’ll take that. Yeah I know I shouldn’t walk out. Need to find a way to get a front angle...

They Look solid. Just get some proper shoes.

Thanks. It’s at the top of the Christmas list. That an a new bar.

Latest squat. 275 x 5, 3rd set. Feel like I’m getting a better bounce/stretch out of the bottom... more explosive. Feeling a little left knee pain/discomfort. Not during the lift but after workout felt it somewhat. No hip issues.

Link: YouTube

Looks like your toes are pointed out too far. Bring them in a little bit. 30 degrees. Looks like you're closer to 45.

The shoes will help tremendously.

Thanks Matt. I’ll give it a go tonight. That might explain my left knee aggravation. Thought on the video my knee was tracking inside my left foot a little.

Here’s my latest squat. My 3rd set at 255. Had to deload from 275 due to illness (lack of sleep and nutrition mainly).

YouTube

I took your advice Matt and pointed my toes out a little less... closer to 30 degrees. Felt good. In general I’m getting good depth and no longer have any knee or hip issues, but am having trouble staying mid foot on some reps.

As you can probably tell my hips/butt will rise out of the bottom fine (in later reps) but I’ll then have to “good morning” with my lower back to get back to the top.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Kevin

starting strength coach development program
    Keep your back tight, it looks to me that is why you’re off mid foot a few reps and the reason for your good morning reps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast