Thread: Squat form

Default Squat form

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    19 years old
    1.78 cm
    60kg
    Did the program before and got up to 95kg squat with bad technique, basically good morning the weight when it got hard. Eventually i started feeling a pain in my lower back and later i stopped lifting due to financial reasons for some time.

Now im back at it again doing 70kg 3rd set in the following video

YouTube

You clearly have the right idea on how squats work. You do need to tighten up quite a bit. Also, even though we want hip drive, that doesn't mean you should be leaving your chest behind as you come up.

In that rack, squat facing the other direction and try to get a video from a rear oblique angle.

Your technique isn't bad. However, you are still not doing the program. Gain 25 kg and by the end of your LP you will have doubled your squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Illingworth View Post
    You clearly have the right idea on how squats work. You do need to tighten up quite a bit.
    A dumb question: what does it mean to "tighten up" when squatting? I see lots of people saying this, but I'm not sure how to do it. Is it just performing the valsalva maneuver harder?

Quote Originally Posted by Cambridge93 View Post
    A dumb question: what does it mean to "tighten up" when squatting? I see lots of people saying this, but I'm not sure how to do it. Is it just performing the valsalva maneuver harder?
    That's part of it. A lot of times, people think they are doing a hard valsalva, but are not. They're taking a breath and sucking their gut in which doesn't wirk as well. A good valsalva will often have your gut expand as your abs, etc. contract.

It also, though, includes squeezing your back (including your upper back) into extension, pinching your lats back, squeezing the bar hard, tightening your chest, locking up everything. You only let the parts relax that have to move and then only relax them enough to move under control.

Finally, it also means tightening your will. This is the time when you must become implacable. There is only you and gravity and your job is to beat gravity. You can make it personal or make it business, but it is your job to do and it must be done.

starting strength coach development program
    Alright thanks for the tips.