starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form Check 1

Default Squat Form Check 1

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello,

I'm looking for some feedback on my squats. About three weeks ago, I noticed I was shifting forward on my toes, and I felt the weight all in my quads. I'd probably been doing it for months, but I didn't begin noticing it as a problem until I started missing reps at about 210 pounds. I recently re-read the squat section in SS and watched a YouTube video from Austin Baraki about common squat mistakes. I believe my problem was leading with my chest out of the hole.

In the past two weeks, I've tried to get more horizontal and focus on hip drive. I deloaded to 175 and have been making ten-pound jumps. The video posted below from November 3rd is at 205. I want to make sure I have the squat right before I progress too much further. Since going more horizontal, I can tell I'm not having to grind through the reps nearly as much. I did 215 just fine today, but didn't record it.

Any help anyone can give will be much appreciated.

11/3/2017: YouTube

Older video for comparison: YouTube

I get "video is unavailable" when I click your 11/3 link.

Quote Originally Posted by Cambridge93 View Post
    I get "video is unavailable" when I click your 11/3 link.
    Thank you for pointing that out.

This link should work: YouTube.

Here is the comparison link: YouTube.

That video is awful. 45 degree angle from rear quarter about hip height is what you want. The most I can tell from the angle is to stay tighter, your back looks loose. Think big chest and extended lower back. Your torso looks a little too vertical still, better, but not quite there. Also google the master cue for starting strength and read that article.

Are these supposed to be high bar squats?

Thank you. I’ll get a better angle next time.

Thanks for the response. They are supposed to be low bar. I take it from the comment I’m too high. How much lower should I go?

And if anyone knows a SS coach in the Little Rock, Arkansas, area, please let me know.

starting strength coach development program
    It's hard to be sure from the video, but the glimpse I got sure looked like it was high. Get a video with the camera at least at hip height and, ideally, from a rear oblique angle.

I don't think there are any coaches in Arkansas, but you can look them up here: SSCA : Coaching