starting strength gym

Thread: Big breath before the Press

Default Big breath before the Press

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I have been reading the Chapter on the Press in your book Starting Strength.

My understanding is that the Big Breath (before moving pelvis forward and pressing) is essential for 1) engagement of quads and abs and 2) to minimize the chances of a blackout while driving the bar into the lockout position at the top.

My question is.....do you release the breath at the top of the lockout just before bringing bar back down or AFTER racking the bar back on the deltoids? I could not locate this bit of info in the chapter.

thank you.

My personal experience with this is a quick short breath at the top-I get light headed if I do it at the bottom. But I’m sure that’s probably a debateable thing.

Hi.

This is the technique forum, where most replies come from other folks. Mark Rippetoe has his own Q&A section. But, to answer your question, the Valsalva in the press is to mostly create a rigid cylinder to transfer the force from your feet up your body into the bar. It helps to engage the abs, but you will have to actively think about squeezing your quads and butt.

You can still blackout. Such is life.

Breathe in at the bottom. Press. Lower weight. Breathe out. Breathe in. Press again. So, all breathing in press 2.0 done at the bottom.

Perfect. Thank you Matt.

What Matt said is correct...

I would like to add that if you can it is advantageous to get your air before you unrack and be able to walk the bar out and press on that first breath. You will never get more air than you will on that first unloaded breath so try and get all you can out of it.

I had seen a video of some lifter state that trying to get the first three presses on one breath can really help. That did help me when the weight was lighter but now that I'm pressing what for me is quite heavy it doesn't seem to work much anymore. Does anyone do this?

I experiment with multiple press reps per breath, but so far it doesn't seem to help me. I get light headed after two, and don't seem to be any stronger.

starting strength coach development program
    As DJ said, getting a hyooge breath before you unrack helps. i press 1.0 style so if i need another breath I’ll get it at the top, but it is not nearly as good a breath as the unrack. I can typically do 3 reps before I need another breath. If you’re pressing 2.0 style then you can breathe at the bottom of each rep like Matt said. For 1.0 you get it at the top