• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Previous thread: Bench Press Form Check SSLP #2

Height: 175cm (5ft 9in)
    BW: 89kg (196 lbs)
    Working weight: 80kg (175 lbs)
    Workout 28, week 10 of SSLP

Notes:
    1) This is a long time PR for me (last time I did 175lbs was 3+ years ago)
    2) As you can see on the last rep of the 1st set the bar path became inconsistent (the weight felt hard out of the bottom). I consider this weight medium. I associate the bar path with fatigue. I noted down (in my training log) that I produce a wobbly bar path on some of the reps. Any cues or tips how to produce a solid, consistent bar path for the future ?
    3) I'm resting 5 mins between sets (purposely) but after this session I'm going to rest 7-8mins as stated in "The three questions" article.
    4) Any constructive criticism is welcomed, thank you.

I think you're loosing your spot as you lift - the bar appears to drift back over your face a little more on each rep. Push more up than back. Give yourself a brief pause at the bottom. Make sure you are getting a solid valsalva before each rep.

You need leg drive. Think about meeting the bar with your chest on the descent while driving your heels in the floor. On the ascent, literally drive the legs in the floor to push your body up the bench. Your feet may be too far back at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Illingworth View Post
    Make sure you are getting a solid valsalva before each rep.
    I'm currently taking a huge breath before the unrack, valsalva and start my 5 reps aiming to do them in one breath. SSBBT3 suggests novices take a big breath before each rep - I tried this but found myself loosing my tightness and arched position every time I took another breath. Sometimes I can't finish a set in one breath and retake a quick shallow breath before I lower the bar. Do you think I should continue with the "one huge breath and go" or try to breathe before each rep concentrating hard on not loosing tightness.

Quote Originally Posted by Royce Nichols View Post
    You need leg drive. Think about meeting the bar with your chest on the descent while driving your heels in the floor. On the ascent, literally drive the legs in the floor to push your body up the bench. Your feet may be too far back at the moment.
    Since my #2 BP form check I'm consciously trying to push the floor with my heels and "push into my upper back" anchoring myself to the bench with the weight of the bar. I taught that I had managed to achieve the proper leg drive.
    I think that in my head I do not know how a solid leg drive should look like. Can you please refer me to any videos of some lifters so I can visually see it and try to reproduce it correctly ?

Here's a video by a SSC that helped me a bit:
    Leg Drive Basics in the Bench Press | Jayson Ball

The leg drive is subtle. With heavy weight it may not be noticeable. If you’re actively thinking about it and trying to do it, then good! With that said, I think your feet are too far back and knees too far in for an effective leg drive. Get your knees out and bring your feet up slightly.

starting strength coach development program
    Notes taken. Thank you guys !