starting strength gym

Thread: Squat check

Default Squat check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    My apologies for the subpar video quality here. I wasn't planning to post these shots of my warmup sets, but then I looked at them and decided they were troubled. (Spotters blocked the filming angle for my work sets, unfortunately.) I'll try to get a set of 5 from a proper angle on Wednesday, based on the feedback I get on this.

YouTube

I'm 5'10", 160 pounds, and squatted 220 3x5 today. The video is of warmup sets at 185x3 and 200x2. I have a tibial leg length discrepancy and squat with a thin rubber mat under my left foot.

On the first set, you can see the bar path is a little wonky and there's some lumbar flexion. On the second set, I appear to be overdoing the "look down" cue, as my upper back is not in extension and perhaps I'm looking too close to my feet. The lumbar situation looks a bit better here, but maybe the change in angle is tricking me. I'm aware I need a bigger belt and will grab one on Wednesday.

Is this a correct assessment, and how should I fix all of this?

Thanks!

You need to get way tighter for each rep.

Don't let your knees go so far forward. Pull your full back into extension.

Thanks! Good call on the knees.

I know we had this discussion in another thread, but I'm still can't get the hang of getting tight (as you can see). I take a big breath, I brace my abs, and I go down. Do you have any suggestion for a simple cue to think about next time?

Squeeze the shit out of everything. Pull your shoulders back, squeeze the bar like you're going to choke it to death, push your abs out, fight the descent, have someone slap you in the guts and jab you between the shoulder blades.

Thanks, Jeff. I really appreciate the help.

Here are three triples at lighter weights, taken today. I was entirely focused on keeping things tight, especially my upper back. Did I succeed in making an improvement here?

YouTube

The movement feels a lot different this way, which is why I look a little awkward.

Better on the tightness.

How squishy is your shim?

starting strength coach development program
    Not squishy at all. I specifically chose the hardest rubber I could find to avoid that problem.