starting strength gym

Thread: Acorn1993 Deadlift, Press, and Squat Form Check

Default Acorn1993 Deadlift, Press, and Squat Form Check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello all,

Just want some advice on the following lifts. I tried to stick to the rules put in place in the sticky but let me know if I need to change anything else to help with viewing my lifts. Forgive me for the angle of the heavy squat...I took the video before reading the sticky. I provided the light squat because I wanted to see if this angle would be preferred for my next heavy squat workout. I also wanted to show that even on light weights I seem to get some buttwink.

Deadlift - YouTube

Press - YouTube

Squat (light) - YouTube

Squat (heavy) - YouTube

Thanks!

Deadlift: narrow your stance a little and turn out a little. Take a second before each subsequent pull to get yourself back into position and tighter (the bar is drifting forward a little as the set progresses).

Press: What's with the goofy bands? Work on getting your elbows closer together and just a touch more in front of the bar. If you're going for Press 2.0 with the hip snap, you need to tighten everything. You're mostly just letting your low back relax as you do a hip isolation as opposed to squeezing everything tight and snapping like a bow.

Squat: You can do a better job of driving your knees out. Narrowing your stance a tiny bit will help. Work on not bouncing into your calves at the bottom (stay tighter and keep your hamstrings tight).

Thanks for the quick reply Jeff!

When you say narrow my stance on the deadlifts and squats are we talking an inch or so each side? Any idea what may have happened on the first rep for deads? The bar went up slow and seemed to hitch a little forward on the right but the other reps seemed easier? The bands were originally intended to be a "safety precaution" in case I ever dropped the bar. Sorry for my ignorance but how do I keep my hamstrings tight? Finally, any tips for staying tight in general? Staying tight has always seemed to be an issue of mine in each lift.

Yeah, just narrow about an inch or two. Regarding the hithyness in the deads, I think you lost a little tightness and your knees got a little in the way. Start off the floor a little slower and speed up as you pull. Make sure you are pulling back and standing up at the same time.

For hamstrings, don't let your knees slip forward and don't let yourself drop the last inch or so, keep your hips pushed back as you near the bottom.

Tightness takes practice. Using a belt helps with the practice. Make a systematic check list in your mind. Get your breath, squeeze against it, lock your shoulders back, squeeze your hands, etc.

I took into account what you said regarding my squat form and this is what happened:

Squat (heavy) - YouTube

Squat (light last set) - YouTube

I was telling myself knees out the entire time which I think lessened the knee cave but it still seems to be there. I'm also still having issues feeling when I've hit depth. Do you think it would be wise to lighten the load (maybe 85-90%) to work on maintaining perfect form for 3x5 instead of one top set and two back-offs and slowly build back up to these weights?

Jeff,

I went for 310.5 lbs on the squat today and filmed it from behind so you could see the tracking of the knees more. They're still caving in even though I'm consciously thinking about keeping them out. The back off sets at 287.5 were a little better (at least the first set) so I'm wondering if I should reduce the weights to work on keeping my knees out. I've noticed less butt wink on reps where my knees stay out more too. Just curious to hear your thoughts.

I also think that I'm still not getting the press 2.0 down. I've read up in the book and watched a video of Rip coaching it but I just can't seem to understand how the hips move forward without the back arching a little and the knees bending slightly. Even in the video of him demonstrating it it appears that his knees bend a little. I took your advice of bringing my elbows in front of the bar slightly and I threw on the belt to help with tightness. However, I failed the prescribed reps for every set this workout so I plan on repeating the weight next time taking whatever other tips you may have.

Squats - YouTube (310.5)
    YouTube
    YouTube (287.5 Last Set)

Presses - YouTube (First Set)
    YouTube (Last Set)

Thanks in advance!

Well, you're doing a full on Charleston on your heavy set... a bit better on the back off. Where do you live?

Ok I'll drop the weight down and work on keeping my knees out for every rep. Does the pressing technique look any better? Just outside of Baltimore.

starting strength coach development program
    Presses aren't too bad. Try setting up a coaching session, it'll fix things quicker.