starting strength gym
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Deadlift technique

Default Deadlift technique

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I know that my technique isn't optimal, and my back loosens more than it should, but at present, would folks here consider my back loose to the point of "inefficient movement pattern," "potential aches and pains," or "likelihood of serious back injury" based on these clips? First one is at 310, second is a back-off at 295:

YouTube

YouTube

I've tried to keep my setup the same as when I learned conventional (set feet first, grip bar second, position back third) but now that I'm pulling sumo, I'm wondering if I'd end up with a better back angle by setting my feet, then "dropping" into position such that I have the proper back angle already when I go to grip the bar? I think a more vertical back (and more of the lift coming from my legs) might help a bit.

Why pull sumo? Are you a competitive powerlifter, or are you planning on competing? Why not train conventional, and get massively stronger before you dabble with sumo?

Legs just long and wide enough that the knee-to-knew distance is a bit too wide to get my arms around when pulling conventional to maintain good form. Not impossible but awkward enough that it keeps me from doing deadlift...

Even on a bad day my back rounds a lot less with sumo, and even if it’s second best, it’s not like squatting on s smith machine.

Do you train with Karl Schudt? He has had similar problems in the past but does conventional lifts anyway. If you haven't trained with him go seek him out.

Appreciate the input on deadlift style, but any thoughts on back angle issues and how much (potential) danger I'm facing for an injury at present? Thanks.

My answer would be the same.

There is nothing wrong with Sumo Deadlifts, they are legal in every legitimate powerlifting organization.

Considering almost all new deadlift world records are pulled sumo, I would say for competition that is the way to go.

I doubt very highly that this thread has anything to do with competitive lifting.

starting strength coach development program
    You know what the OP's future aspirations are?

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast