starting strength gym
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Deadlift technique

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Nope. Not a damn clue. But any pull at 310 isn't what I would call "competitive" nor should the fact that all world records are set by pulling sumo matter. I would rather someone who knows how to pull sumo chime in and critique his form than read - yet another - unhelpful sumo vs conventional pissing contest.

I've pulled a 515 conventional and a 485 Sumo, so I have a little experience. What is your best Deadlift?

My best deadlift I've ever done was years ago. 365. Still working on form after 4 months of my last stint of training - just can't get it right. I'm not arguing with your experience. I am arguing that just saying sumo is a valid style of pulling doesn't actually contribute anything. Neither does asking why the OP is pulling sumo instead of conventionally. All that matters is someone who pulls sumo answering the posed questions.

Lemme see - The guy asked for critique of his Sumo form and 2 SS apostles tried to talk him out of pulling sumo so he can get massively strong. Shug responds that Sumo is legit in almost any federation and I add that almost all deadlift world records are being set by Sumo. Sounds like you can get massively strong pulling sumo so let's get that out of the way. Now, can anyone critique his Sumo form

Quote Originally Posted by skid View Post
    Lemme see - The guy asked for critique of his Sumo form and 2 SS apostles tried to talk him out of pulling sumo so he can get massively strong. Shug responds that Sumo is legit in almost any federation and I add that almost all deadlift world records are being set by Sumo. Sounds like you can get massively strong pulling sumo so let's get that out of the way. Now, can anyone critique his Sumo form
    And Mr. Clark obviously doesn't know that the first apostle to answer has coached women lifters that pull sumo.

So, your back looses extension as the set progresses (especially on your heavy set) and I think several of your lockouts were soft (it's a little hard to tell with the long pants and the angle). Generally, with sumo, you'll set up closer to the bar than in conventional with the goal of having more vertical shins. Feet go really wide and with a pronounced degree of turnout (again, to keep the shins more vertical). Commit to your grip choice before you bend over as opposed to switching it around a couple of times. It might be a good idea to pull double overhand/hook for awhile to help get the rest of the movement dialed in so you won't have to concentrate as much on how your arms are moving as they drag up the body which is causing more windmilling than you want. Don't let the bar move before the pull. Get set against it. Hips are going to be lower in the sumo than in conventional. The valsalva and tightness issues are all the same and, again, I think you'd benefit from a belt.

Wow, what a shit show! Is anyone going to ask me what I deadlift before they decide if my advice is valid? Get over yourselves.

OP, your back is set, so you are fine to progress with minimal risk of back injury IMO. However, you are jerking the weight off of the ground, which can cause your back to round off of the floor at heavier weights. I recommend taking the slack out of the bar by lifting the chest up against the weight of the bar (stretch the arms). Before you "pull," you should feel the weight heavy in the hands. The last rep was the best, as you didn't jerk it off of the ground.

YouTube

Lastly, look at your grip. You are griping the bar too high in your hands (1st pic). At heavy weights, the bar will slip into your fingers. Start with the bar low in the palm, at the base fingers (2nd pic) for a more secure grip, and smaller calluses!

20171031_141112.jpg
    20171031_141118.jpg

Edit: Forgot to add, don't "shrug," exaggerate lockout, or do whatever it is you are doing at lockout. Just stand up tall.
    Last edited by Adam Franklin; 11-09-2017 at 03:06 PM. Reason: forgot lockout critique

What is your best Deadlift, Adam?

Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    Do you train with Karl Schudt? He has had similar problems in the past but does conventional lifts anyway. If you haven't trained with him go seek him out.
    He pulls much better sumo. Santana just persuaded him to conventional because....reasons. SS reasons.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulBeech View Post
    He pulls much better sumo. Santana just persuaded him to conventional because....reasons. SS reasons.
    Bingo!! Karl would be miles ahead using the variation that best fits him. But... ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast