starting strength gym

Thread: Round Upper Back Deadlift

Default Round Upper Back Deadlift

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Been experimenting with my deadlift lately. I have found that I am much stronger when allow my upper back to round and tuck my chin. I believe it gives me much better leverage off of the floor. Rounding my upper back helps me because of my relatively short arms. So I am trying to keep my hips relatively high, lower back in extension, and staying as tight as possible.
    Here is a video of a rep of my halting deadlift using this technique.
    Does anyone harshly object to using this technique if it helps me start the pull?

YouTube

Let's talk two separate scenarios: competition and training.

For competition, I don't "harshly object" to this technique. For competition, whatever technique that allow your to move the most weight within the constraints of the rules is "good to go" in my book. However, I would like to see a heavy single to see if YOU can hold a extended lumbar with a flexed thoracic. Thoracic flexion won't get you red lighted at a meet, but failing to extend the lumbar at lockout will!

Let's talk training (or reality). For a lifter who is not a competitive powerlifter, who is training for general strength, I would "harshly object" to this style of pulling if you were my client. By training with a rounded thoracic, you will be neglecting the muscles responsible for holding your upper back extension via isometric contraction. Over time, this thoracic weakness eventually catch up to you in the squat.

Let's say you do it anyways... You could try to supplement with extra "back work," but this means more time in the gym and more stress to recover from, assuming you can recreate the same stress with assistance work.

For what it's worth, I looked at your other deadlift video on your YT channel. It didn't look terrible, besides jerking the weight off of the ground. My two cents would be to stay the course and train a flat backed, conventional deadlift. Whatever you do, report back in a few months with your progress!
    Last edited by Adam Franklin; 11-09-2017 at 10:25 AM.