starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Follow Up Squat Check

Default Follow Up Squat Check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I've previously posted a couple of form checks and would appreciate any comments on this 60kg set, I dropped the weight back to 40kg and have worked my way back up after some pain in my lower back/rear right hip area.

This is my second set which I recorded as a fail as I stumbled slightly forward on the last rep. As I'm inexperienced and moving up to weights that are starting to feel a bit heavier, I think there's a fear factor coming in and I don't want to get stuck. As a result I can come forward onto my toes sometimes in a rush to complete the rep. It happened during the first set too but I didn't stumble forward during that one. I have my cues to tell myself during the set, superman chest and hip draahve for when I'm coming up but I'm not sure how well they are translating into actual hip drive. I'm in Japan so seeking out a SS coach is not really an option, though I have found a decent looking gym locally that offers one-on-one instruction. I might visit them if necessary just to make sure I'm not getting the main lifts dangerously wrong.

I sincerely apologize for the lighting, it's a little dark as I didn't have the lights set up properly.

Thanks again for your time.
    MC

you are coming down upright, which is forcing your knees forward, which is getting your weight on your toes, which made you stumble.

Fix your eye-gaze (look down about 4-5 feet in front of you), and BEND OVER. You can try lifting your toes in the warmups to get your weight further back on midfoot. You will be pretty horizontal at the bottom. When you initiate the squat, your nipples need to start pointing down immediately.

Shaun Pang is in Singapore--might be worth a weekend jaunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Schudt View Post
    you are coming down upright, which is forcing your knees forward, which is getting your weight on your toes, which made you stumble.

Fix your eye-gaze (look down about 4-5 feet in front of you), and BEND OVER. You can try lifting your toes in the warmups to get your weight further back on midfoot. You will be pretty horizontal at the bottom. When you initiate the squat, your nipples need to start pointing down immediately.

Shaun Pang is in Singapore--might be worth a weekend jaunt.
    Thanks for your comments and advice Karl. So I'll try and focus on getting bent over more and earlier as I descend. Maybe the superman chest cue has made me more upright. I'll go back to 'Nips to the floor' which I was using a while back.

Hi again,

Here is my most recent set of 65kg this evening. I haven't had the problem of coming onto my toes the last few days.

I focused on looking down more and I've been trying to slow down a little at the bottom and not bounce out too quickly. Any quick comments would be much appreciated - do I still seem too upright or is this better?

Thanks once again for your help.

These aren't too bad. Work on really tightening up quite a bit more and watch your knees - they like to knock in a bit.

Thanks Jeff for your comments. I noticed a bit of movement in from my knees. I'll be keeping an eye on this.

I just finished today's workout. I felt alright before warming up but after my first work set of 67.5kg I noticed I felt a little light headed / weak and wasn't real confident of my next set. It may have been from going to bed a bit late and having a few beers last night. Definitely not hungover though. Anyway, the second set was OK but the third, which I've posted below, wasn't very good. I bounced out of the bottom again on the second rep and drifted forward. The last rep I just didn't think I'd make it up so I stopped. Looking back I should've tried, that was pretty lame.

So a quick question that's not really about technique, but I'm wondering how much of this is mental? I'm not lifting heavy weight compared to posters here, but being a complete beginner, I'm a getting a little nervous as I get up towards my bodyweight. The bar is starting to feel slower going up, though when I watch my videos it still seems to be moving quicker than many in the videos posted here in the forums. I actually felt nervous before the last set which was a first for me. I'd read somewhere about a guy who said you're not really doing much until you're feeling scared on your way the gym so I found this feeling interesting. Anyway, I get the feeling that I may have let me talk myself into failing if that makes sense.

Sorry if I've posted these comments in the wrong part of the forum, but would love to hear any comments. Just do it?..... I'm thinking too much perhaps.

Thanks again for your time.

Stand up straight and lock your knees. Take a big breath and consider getting a belt. Do not pause at the bottom, not even on warmup sets. You almost fell forward because you did not keep the back angle the same coming out of the bottom. It seems like you understand what hip drive is so now think: MID FOOT!

I haven't watched your video, but will comment on the mental. Yes, a lot of the physical is mental and it's not unusual to be scared when the weight gets heavy (whatever that may be). The best thing you can do is learn to use that to your advantage. Get some adrenaline and fuel your reps. Learn to not let the fear stop you. It's pretty cool to squat a thousand pounds, but it's way more impressive to know there was more conquering of fear than of gravity in that lift.

Whale & Jeff,
    Thanks both for your comments and insight - it gave me some motivation and I did some reading this past week on the mental side of things. There is more to this than I had imagined! I've decided to do some practice getting stuck under the bar and bailing.

Anyway, I made it to a goal today - 70kg squat - which I had been hoping to get to from a few months back. The set wasn't too hard but I think my form was a bit sloppy - knees were coming in a little and from the side shot I saw that the bar was drifting quite a way forward. I plan on slowing my increments down from 2.5kg to 1.25kg, and eventually .625kg and work on form. There's still room in the tank but I'm not in any rush and need to think up some new goals.

I've posted the 70kg squat - sets 2 & 3 from today.

Thanks once again for this invaluable resource.

starting strength coach development program
    These are looking better. Your knees are sloppy - leave your toes where they are, bring the heels in a bit, and drive the knees out, especially on the way up. The bar might be a bit low on your back. I would also suggest wearing the belt under the hoody as it'll ride better.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast