starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check

Default Squat form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi all,

I'm restarting my linear progression after a few months off due to other life events. Last time, I followed the program for ~4.5 months, but had difficulty progressing past 225, 275, 115, 185 (squat, deadlift, press, bench). This time I intend to use the forums and get it right.

Stats:
    Bodyweight: 195lb
    Height: 6'1"
    Bodyfat: unsure... 15-20%?

Current lifts (for 3sets x 5reps, except DL 1x5):
    Squat: 95
    Deadlift: 205
    Press: 80
    Bench: 155

Link to video:
    YouTube

My observations/comments:
    *I have a butt-wink that I'm not sure how to get rid of... I've struggled with this in the past also. My lower back is sore today, perhaps from that?
    *I've always struggled with soreness of the inner hip/groin area (both sides). This generally keeps me from exerting maximum effort.
    *My wrists don't look straight enough

Thanks in advance for your help.

-Greg

I really thought this video was sped up. Slow. Down. You lose back tightness because you never get tight in the first place, or if you do, you lose it entirely by collapsing down so quickly (falling = something has to loosen). All of this is very likely the source of your aches and pains (I had the same problem of dive bombing my squats so I can testify personally here).

Your stance width from toe to toe looks good though I'd narrow the distance from heel to heel.

+1 on the slow it down.
    Perhaps your lower back is sore because you're overextending it. Stop doing that. Stand all the way up at the top, set a normal curve in your lower back and keep it that way throughout the rep.

Thank you for the feedback. I'm uploading two videos from my workout today (still at 95lb, I missed Tuesday).

I focused on slowing down the reps and keeping my head down. I still have some butt-winking though. How can I be sure I'm not overextending my back when I set up?

A possibly related observation: I'm usually very tight/sore in my upper inner thigh (both sides). It takes ~5 sets of 5 reps with an empty bar before that feeling starts to dissipate. Could this tightness be contributing to the butt-wink?

Set 1:
    YouTube

Set 2:
    Squat 111617 95lb Set2 - YouTube

Thanks again,
    Greg

You're overextended at the top and with each rep you get looser and start going too deep. Tighten up, a lot! I think you could also productively widen your stance a bit.

I'm trying to get tighter. I'm starting to think I don't have a clue what I'm doing, because my form (i.e. the butt-wink) doesn't look much different, and I don't know how to further tighten up... I'll reread the squat chapter. I'm considering finding a SS coach as well.

Still at 95lbs. I was hesitant to increase because of a knee issue, I'll start moving up slowly next time.
    Set 1
    YouTube

Set 2
    Squat 112117 95lb Set2 - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by GregS View Post
    I'm trying to get tighter. I'm starting to think I don't have a clue what I'm doing, because my form (i.e. the butt-wink) doesn't look much different, and I don't know how to further tighten up... I'll reread the squat chapter. I'm considering finding a SS coach as well.

Still at 95lbs. I was hesitant to increase because of a knee issue, I'll start moving up slowly next time.
    Set 1
    YouTube

Set 2
    Squat 112117 95lb Set2 - YouTube

Keep putting weight on the bar and stop arching the shit out of your back. You're hyper-extending your back. So, when you get ready to descend, brace your abs and low back hard by shoving the top your ribs DOWN and then descend. Hold this position throughout the whole set. Reset after each rep. Your butt wink is not an issue and should go away once you get your bracing down.

starting strength coach development program
    I've been messing around with your "ribs down" cue in breaks at work... I think it'll help me next time I'm in the gym.

Thanks for the feedback!