starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Frustrated with squat technique

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Ok, here is my second attempt. I find it awkward to do the valsalva when squating, yet i have no problems with it during deadlifts and bench press.

@ 155 lbs
    YouTube

@ 165 lbs
    YouTube

You're still moving your hips back first. Hips and knees unlock at the same time. Hips go back. Knees go out and forward.
    You're still overextending your spine. Less arch.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Grantham View Post
    You're still moving your hips back first. Hips and knees unlock at the same time. Hips go back. Knees go out and forward.
    You're still overextending your spine. Less arch.
    Is it the lower back or upper? Butt wink is my biggest concern.

Your entire back is overextended. It's like a backwards 'C'. The reason your lumbar spine moves at the bottom of your squat is because you cannot maintain that position at the bottom, nor should you try to do so. It is not a normal anatomical position. Trying to maintain it will only set you up to have your spine move around under a load, which is what gets you hurt. You're better off setting a normal position to your spine and then not letting it move.

Less arch.

If you repeatedly click play / pause from about 11 sec onwards and go frame by frame you will see your butt move back as you extend your lower back. Your chest and bar don't move at all. That means you haven't tightened your abs. Personally I found that if I tensed my abs as if someone was going to punch me I could still tilt my pelvis/extend my lower back so I had to experiment with that until I found a way of doing it which prevented me being able to extend my back. I have to focus as if I am trying to do a reverse crunch. No
    clue if that is what is happening with you but if you feel you are tensing at the moment it's clearly not working so perhaps you have a similar problem. Juat stand up (without the bar) tense your abs and try and tilt your pelvis. If you can then you're not tensing correctly so figure out how to do it so you can't and then remember that feeling.

I found a belt also helped a ton, I am guessing moreso than for those who never had any issues preventing extension/tensing abs correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob-UK View Post
    Juat stand up (without the bar) tense your abs and try and tilt your pelvis. If you can then you're not tensing correctly so figure out how to do it so you can't and then remember that feeling.

I found a belt also helped a ton, I am guessing moreso than for those who never had any issues preventing extension/tensing abs correctly.
    I tried doing that, and I can still move my pelvis alittle when tensed. I find when I am about to break parallel in the squat while tensed, I lose it, otherwise I feel like I am going to lose balance.

Anyway, I have been working on breaking at the knees with my hips at the start. That and always looking ahead throughout the squat are two of my worst habits.
    Also, the bar is placed at the lowest point I know, any lower and it will slip from my back.

check - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by Mch64961 View Post
    I’m curious to know what you’re talking about, care to elaborate or give a link to video/article?
    Probably could find the video, but it's not really necessary. Lie on your back and pull your legs up into your squat position and you will form your natural foot space/angle in this unloaded position. Take note of how far apart your heels are and what angle your feet make, then apply that in the standing position. It's always a bit of a guess/shuffle when setting up for the squat stance whilst standing up, so lying down unloaded makes for a natural positioning.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Nockian View Post
    Probably could find the video, but it's not really necessary. Lie on your back and pull your legs up into your squat position and you will form your natural foot space/angle in this unloaded position. Take note of how far apart your heels are and what angle your feet make, then apply that in the standing position. It's always a bit of a guess/shuffle when setting up for the squat stance whilst standing up, so lying down unloaded makes for a natural positioning.
    I think this is the video you are talking about.

YouTube

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12