starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frustrated with squat technique

Default Frustrated with squat technique

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I have been working on my squat form, but it still doesn't look or feel right. What the hell am I doing wrong? My feet are shoulder width, toes pointed 30 degrees and I am pushing my knees out. For the life of me, I cannot get this technique right. Bench, OHP and Deadlift are no problem for me, but the squat is holding me up in progress.

YouTube

YouTube

I only watched the first video.
    1. Put the hooks one notch lower.
    2. Put the bar a bit lower on your back.
    3. Stop looking forward, look down.
    4. Hold your entire back in extension throughout each rep.
    5. Push your hips back a little more.

Stop jerking your back into overextension upon descending. Also, think BIG CHEST or CHEST UP (bc your upper back is not in good extension). Lastly, sit back more in your hips and invest in some lifting shoes if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Dlk93 View Post
    Stop jerking your back into overextension upon descending.
    Instead of doing that, just take a giant deep breath and brace like Mike Tyson is about send a big right hand (or was he left handed?) to your solar plexus. Also, eat more PB&J's.

Okay, so I have taken the advice so far, but my form still looks subpar. When I try to sit back more and keep a big chest, my butt wink is more pronounced. Again, my feet are shoulder width apart, toes pointed out, and my back is kept at an angle closest to keeping the bar over mid foot.

I am absoultely discouraged, this "natural" movement is the one thing that I have made no progress on. Some days I have the desire to nix squats all together, but I remember how vital they are to strength training. I am just at wits end. Am I that uncoordinated?!

I will post another video this weekend. I really want to progress on the squat, I just don't have the money to throw down on a seminar or personal coach.

Listen to everything that’s been said, what Jeff said will get you in the right direction. Also get out of your head with this, don’t overthink it and convolute this in your mind (I do that a lot) and you will get there. On another note, your handle is hilarious.

Have you done that lie on your back thing and pull into a squat ? I found out I was squatting too wide until I tried it. It shows the natural position.

Quote Originally Posted by Nockian View Post
    Have you done that lie on your back thing and pull into a squat ? I found out I was squatting too wide until I tried it. It shows the natural position.
    I’m curious to know what you’re talking about, care to elaborate or give a link to video/article?

I feel you on the frustration, I have been working on my squat technique so much over the last 3 months or so and at times it feels like a fruitless task but (I think!) mine is slowly getting better.

I'm also almost enjoying the whole process of improving it bit by bit - if and when it's every perfect (unlikely!) I may miss not having anything to work on!

My question is do you still have a problem overextending at the top despite feeling like you are contracting your abs?

starting strength coach development program
    Your hips are unlocking first, then sometime later your knees bend and keep moving forward all the way to the bottom.

Instead, from the very start of the rep, drive your knees forward and your hips back, and stop knee travel about halfway down. Then just sit back and down.

Someone suggested lifting shoes. They would really help you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast