starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form Check #1

Default Squat Form Check #1

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Good morning everyone! New to the forums and most everything about SS. Finishing up my 9th weeks of the LP. However... I have to admit I didn't follow the program to the letter. Because I was 100% untrained in all lifts except the bench press, I started with 5x5 and the empty bar on all but the bench press. This was an effort to hammer down form prior to adding heavier weights. This may have been to my detriment, though, as I believe I drove home some poor habits. Namely, lumber flexion at the bottom of the squat.

Now that the weight is heavy (for me) that lumbar flexion has cause some low back pain (LBP). So, in order to alleviate said pain, I did as Rip suggests, and got back under the bar with light weights. This did, in fact, help my pain levels. I filmed all 6 light sets of 5 reps I did and look at my form... not good. Lots of lumbar flexion even prior to getting parallel.

The good news is that I've identified the source of pain as was still able to complete my next workout just 48 hours later. LBP is still present, but much lower in intensity. The videos below are my last two work sets from the last workout. I'd appreciate any feedback you all have.

Items of note:
    1. Not all lumbar flexion is gone
    2. Yes, I know I need different shoes
    3. Having a hard time gaining a neutral wrist with a narrower grip. If I go much wider, I'll set the bar on my hands as my rack is quite narrow.

Thanks, Nick.

Work on straightening your wrists out. Your knees can come forward a little further. Keep your head down.

Thanks, Jeff. I changed the point on the floor I look at to about 18 inches in front of me and so far, with only light sets, it's been great. I really felt like I was far more balanced over midfoot and the weight felt lighter. I'll see how the heavy sets go on Saturday. Still had some flexion, though.

You need to be faster on they way down and push the knees a bit more forward at beginning of the rep. To fix the wrist problem, get shoulders and chest warm, get into rack, put the bar and the wrist in the most correct position you can get in and keep it there for 1-2 minutes. If it's comfortable you're doing it wrong.

Also, I know you know you have bad shoes. But are those running shoes? Any shoe that can wiggle laterally is probably the worst option.

Quote Originally Posted by whale View Post
    You need to be faster on they way down and push the knees a bit more forward at beginning of the rep.
    I assure you that if I drop too much faster my form will suffer... I'm still working on holding form as the weights just recently got heavy (for me). I do feel more comfortable, however, with the increased hip flexion on the way down, so that may help me speed things up a bit.

To fix the wrist problem, get shoulders and chest warm, get into rack, put the bar and the wrist in the most correct position you can get in and keep it there for 1-2 minutes. If it's comfortable you're doing it wrong.
    I've been doing this very thing on my off days... and you're absolutely right... IT SUCKS! But as I learned through another experience in my life... you must EMBRACE THE SUCK and the outcome will be more than worth it!

Also, I know you know you have bad shoes. But are those running shoes? Any shoe that can wiggle laterally is probably the worst option.
    It's the best I can do for now. I'm hoping to 'upgrade' to Chuck's at Christmas time.

starting strength coach development program
    The stretch reflex cannot be accomplished if you go so slow. Controlled and fast descent is what you want in the long run. Better learn it now than later.

If you're going to spend 50$ on chucks, spend 20$ more and buy Adidas Powerlifts.